turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dmckown11

1099 misc box 3 other income is pension, ordinary income, not SE. How do I report this w/o paying SE tax?

L need to know how to report this as ordinary income and not SE income.  Please help

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

1099 misc box 3 other income is pension, ordinary income, not SE. How do I report this w/o paying SE tax?

Here's how to enter a 1099-MISC with income in box 3 in TurboTax so that it is reported as "other income" on Schedule 1 line 21.

• Click Federal Taxes.
  • Click Wages & Income.
  • Click "I'll choose what I work on" or "Jump to a full list."
  • On the screen "Your 2018 Income Summary," scroll down to the section "1099-MISC and Other Common Income." Click the Start button for "Income from Form 1099-MISC."
  • The next screen asks "Did you get a 1099-MISC?" Click Yes.
  • On the next screen enter the information from the 1099-MISC form, then click Continue.

TurboTax will now ask a series of questions about the 1099-MISC income. Answer as follows, even if some of the answers aren't true.

• "Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC." - It doesn't matter what you enter. Enter a short description such as "Pension." Click Continue. You will see this description used in some of the subsequent questions, but it will not appear on your tax return.
  • "Does one of these uncommon situations apply?" - Select the last choice, "None of these apply," and click Continue.
  • "Did the Pension involve work that's like your main job?" - Select No and click Continue.
  • "How often did you get income for Pension?" - "I got it in 2018" will already be checked. Don't check any of the other boxes. Just click Continue.
  • "Did the Pension involve an intent to earn money?" - Select No and click Continue.

This will report the income as "other income" on Form 1040 line 21 with the description "Other Income from box 3 of 1099-Misc." It will not be subject to self-employment tax.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Box 3 does not report SE income.  Pension income is reported on a 1099-R, not a 1099-MISC.

What is the income for?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dmckown11

My pension for some reason is reported on 1099Misc. I have checked with pension department multiple times and is to be treated like ordinary income. TT seems to default it to SE income

Is this some sort of non-profit organization that is paying it?

A pension is ordinary income, but reported on a 1099-R.

A 1099-MISC box 3 is not subject to SE tax, only box 7 income is.

@dmertz have you come across a pension on a 1099-MISC before?  - Does not seem right.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dmckown11

I have complained about the confusion to the organization. It is a major medical group pension. Previously I could double click on line 21 and add and be taxed as ordinary income but if course the firm has changed
dmckown11

The 1040 has changed since last year

Sounds like that might be some sort of private plan and does not fall under the defined benefit pension plan regulations.

Actually I don;t know how to enter it - I will ask others.
dmertz
Level 15

I agree, it seems that these payments should either have been reported on Forms 1099-R or W-2.  I think it should only potentially be in box 3 of a Form 1099-MISC if the recipient is deceased and the income is income in respect of a decedent or if they are termination payments in certain cases for insurance salespeople.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Here's how to enter a 1099-MISC with income in box 3 in TurboTax so that it is reported as "other income" on Schedule 1 line 21.

• Click Federal Taxes.
  • Click Wages & Income.
  • Click "I'll choose what I work on" or "Jump to a full list."
  • On the screen "Your 2018 Income Summary," scroll down to the section "1099-MISC and Other Common Income." Click the Start button for "Income from Form 1099-MISC."
  • The next screen asks "Did you get a 1099-MISC?" Click Yes.
  • On the next screen enter the information from the 1099-MISC form, then click Continue.

TurboTax will now ask a series of questions about the 1099-MISC income. Answer as follows, even if some of the answers aren't true.

• "Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC." - It doesn't matter what you enter. Enter a short description such as "Pension." Click Continue. You will see this description used in some of the subsequent questions, but it will not appear on your tax return.
  • "Does one of these uncommon situations apply?" - Select the last choice, "None of these apply," and click Continue.
  • "Did the Pension involve work that's like your main job?" - Select No and click Continue.
  • "How often did you get income for Pension?" - "I got it in 2018" will already be checked. Don't check any of the other boxes. Just click Continue.
  • "Did the Pension involve an intent to earn money?" - Select No and click Continue.

This will report the income as "other income" on Form 1040 line 21 with the description "Other Income from box 3 of 1099-Misc." It will not be subject to self-employment tax.

dmckown11

I figured you can still double click on Line 21 and enter that way. Thanks for your timely help
Manage cookies