turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Someone claimed me as a dependent without my permission. Does being claimed mean you don't get as much money and how can i change the dependent option.

If someone claims you as dependent your not going to receive your check there going to receive it but I don't think they are going to tell you and if you don't now who it was call irs and report it that nobody supposed to put you as dependent with out your concent and there going to see who put you and they will give you your money but when they tell you who did it you are going to put charging cuz that's identity theft ok and IAM on SSI disability also but I told the person that wanted to put me as dependent that if they did I was going to report it and it sucks when it's your own family.

Someone claimed me as a dependent without my permission. Does being claimed mean you don't get as much money and how can i change the dependent option.

@02Lizeth The person who claimed you does NOT receive the $1200 stimulus check for you.  All they get for claiming you as a dependent is a $500 credit on their tax return--which could lower the amount of tax due that they owed to the IRS.  Your stimulus check does not go to them.  It just goes nowhere.  However, it is not okay for anyone to claim a dependent if they do not actually support that person, and it is -or can be-causing you not to get the $1200 stimulus yourself.  File a tax return, even if the only income you put on it is $1 --- and mail it to the IRS, and let the IRS sort it out.  

The IRS will not ever tell you who claimed you.  But if you try to e-file and your e-file is rejected because your SSN has been used, you will have a pretty good clue that "someone" claimed you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I'm not his dependent

I want it changed

@Hickiebrew If you have read any of the entries in this thread, you should already know that you cannot change what someone else filed on their tax return.  All you can do if you were claimed by someone who should not have claimed you is prepare and file your own tax return by mail, and let the IRS sort it out.  Read through this thread, please.  Multiple other users have posted about this issue and have received replies.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Once they put you as a dependent on there papers yes they do receive your money cuz that just recently happened to one of my uncle's her sister put him and she received it and didn't tell him until should found out he was going to make a report why he has not gotten his check and his sister told him the truth because if not she would have to pay back the money and it's identify theft with out your concent .So she told him that the next check is his just as long as he doesn't report her .And also when your on SSI disability or anything like that if there using you remember disability people get alot off discount on bills and more if the person claims she's taking care of you when it's not true she can be putting her self as if she's your caretaker and they get a check also and your check is going to go down cuz I now cuz my uncle went threw that but now that he knows her sister is paying him back and he already reported that no one is taking care of him so now there going to see what's going to happen cuz that's reporting something that is not true and getting paid also and you now that the government don't play like that cuz it's there money so .you should just put on the irs that your single and don't put nobody in we're it says that if someone can claim you ok 

Spoiler
Look all I can tell you is if your not his dependent go in to the irs non filter if your on SSI or disability  or something like that put sigle and don't check that anyone can claim you so you don't put a check in dependent or no name ok all you do is put single your address and social and your bank account number and routing and if your Alon no spouse you don't fill anything out there just on your ok  that's how I do it and save your password and username and the code there going to give you ok and if you do make taxes do the same but don't check the department ok and report it to it's so they can now that someone is reporting you as there dependent and your going to be surprised cuz it's always some one close to you that now everything about you cuz mine was my mom so just imagine

I sighn to this app call the IRS why is nobody helping get my stimlus check im not getting the help I need I already put my info on here weres my help

How did you get yo stimlus back afther sombody clame you I need answers I was clame from sombody and they didn't ask me I won't my stimlus to men

I talk with IRS and they only told me sombody clame me with not tell me who and they did not give me a dime back at all it's like they don't even care

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

If someone claimed you and you were not, in fact, qualified to be their dependent then you should file your own return without indicating that you are a dependent of another taxpayer by mail.  This will get you the correct refund for 2019 but will not likely do anything to correct your receipt of an advance economic impact payment this year. 

Likely, you will be forced to wait to claim that payment when you file your 2020 tax return in 2021, unfortunately.  

@Rodney9

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What if your on SSI and don't have to file and have a direct express card then what

Your single no dependents get SSI and a direct express card and sombody clame you on there taxes with no promisson the irs just tell you to do a tad return but what about my stimlus money this person has clear as day got away with usen my socal sacrity number and got payd off me that person should be place in jail that is theft 100% I told the irs what happend it's like they don't even care afther wait on the phone for over 3 ours plus they had a lady use to stay next door use to go in people's mail afther she was evicted I also have brothers that work that a do it I have no answers that whouldnt even tell me who did it all they told me is sombody clame me that is not fair how can you even file a police report if you don't know who clame you on there taxes that is not fair I use to work at wendays that was in 2019 I never file taxes when I tryd on here my account was stolen and use as well I had to create a new account this is the new one it's not fair nobody's took action tord the person that did it that's not right they should give me my stimlus on my direct express card and make the person that clame me pay back the irs IRS and go to jail 

Why do I have to wait for my stimlus becouse of sombody clame me as a dependent without my promisson I'm on SSI I do not have to file anything I get direct express but do to me working at Wendy's I tryd on here and sombody stold my old turbo tax account and log in on here why do I have to wait to next year for money that was stold from me 

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

I'm sorry that someone stole from you, that is truly unfortunate.   However, there isn't any other procedure at this time for those in your situation other than to file your own return next year to claim your credit.  

@Rodney9

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies