Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Someone claimed me as a dependent without my permission. Does being claimed mean you don't get as much money and how can i change the dependent option.

I was calling about a stimulus payment and I'm on Social Security like SSI and SSA someone claimed me as independent without my permission and I am on my own payee what do I do to take that off of there and find who filed my information without my permission

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Someone claimed me as a dependent without my permission. Does being claimed mean you don't get as much money and how can i change the dependent option.

Unfortunately, there isn't anyway to find out who may have listed you on their tax return (unless you have an idea who it may have been and can ask them and they will tell you.)  Your permission is not required to list you on a tax return.  However, there are qualifications that must be met for you to be listed as the dependent of another person. 

Generally, the person must provide more than half of your financial support - plus meet a number of other qualifications.  

The only solution available to you is to prepare and file your own tax return by mail - even though that return may be a "zero" return - a return with no taxable income and no tax due or tax refund owed to you.  This will establish that you are not receiving support from another person and establish a tax file reporting your own income to you in your own name. 

The IRS will at some later date send correspondence to both you and any other individuals listing your name and social security number on tax returns requesting supporting information to determine which tax return is accurate.  

The return determined to be inaccurate will be corrected and that taxpayer will be required to pay back any benefits derived from listing you as a dependent if you are not, in fact, a dependent of that taxpayer along with penalties and interest.  

The IRS will provide you with information about the other parties.  

@chrishaddock233

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Without my permission I have my own home I'm on disability and I really need my money I am on my way to homelessness please help me please I did not tell anyone to use me as a dependent I need my money I have my own home address and I do live by myself

MiMi1980

My ex claimed me and my daughter on his income tax and I'm on Social Security disability and my daughter work for 4 months and is 18 years of age we did not receive an stimulus check but he received one for himself why did we not receive one and he did we don't live together he didn't ask for either one of our permissions we shouldn't be able to be claimed by someone else can someone please help me

MiMi1980

My ex does not live with me does not pay half my bills doesn't support me or my daughter and any kind of way therefore I do not understand why I am not getting a stimulus check I went to the IRS I tried to fill out the paperwork and there's no one there that will help me can someone please help me I just want to know why we can't get our stimulus check my only source of income is social security disability

MiMi1980

No one has the right to claim me or my daughter when they're filing the taxes I'm head of household I pay all my bills is there a live representative person that I can speak to to get some help

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

You can use the following link to determine how much your stimulus payment should have been, if anything, based upon your personal situation.

Stimulus check calculator

If you determine you should have received a stimulus payment but have not yet, please use the link below to register for the stimulus payment.  Be sure to use the correct link depending upon whether you are a tax return filer or non-filer.

IRS Stimulus payment registration portal

Please see the section starting with Q58 for more information as to how the stimulus payment could apply to you based upon your current situation.

Economic payment information

@MiMi1980

Amyann

Same thing happened to me. So I ask the person if he claimed me and he said yes just " joking around" he says. So I got a 12 after my last name it says Rigsby12.  Could that even be legit? And i don't know if this matters but the guy living with me in my house at the time absolutely did not help pay any bills if anything lied saying he was when I was in the hospital for 6 months. So is there anyway he could've claimed me as a dependent? Sorry I get worked up over this cause I was really counting on that and it seems cause he was bored and just seeing what itd say for kicks, but got me over here a hot mess!

@Amyann If your roommate thinks "joking around" with a tax return is okay, see how he likes being reported for tax fraud.   If your Social Security number was used on someone else's tax return and you were claimed as a dependent, you will not be able to e-file your 2019 tax return, nor will you receive a stimulus check.  At most, the roommate may have gotten a $500 credit for other dependents on his return for claiming you.  He could not receive a stimulus check for claiming a dependent over the age of 16.

He needs to amend his return and remove you as a dependent.  But that process takes months--it may not even be completed by the end of this year.  So you cannot hope to e-file this year.  Your attempts at e-filing will be rejected.  Your own tax return must be printed, signed and mailed instead.  That means, unfortunately, a longer wait time for your return to be processed.  Eventually the IRS will sort out whether you could be claimed as a dependent, and your foolish roommate will face some consequences.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900655-what-to-do-if-you-suspect-tax-related-identity-theft

This mess may prevent you from receiving your stimulus check this year, but if you do not receive it this year, you will be able to get it next year when you file your 2020 tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Understand no one has the right to claim you as dependent even if you live with them ok so if you don't want that just fill the non filter for you check when you go in you put single don't put nobody as dependent and nobody should claim you as dependent and if they do and you did you it's non filter there going to now that your not putting anybody so they can get in trouble and to report that just call irs and they will help you ok but when you fill out the IRS form don't put nobody and don't check that anyone can claim you ok .Cuz my uncle did not receive his check cuz her sister claimed him and did not receive anything she got he's check he didn't now until she told him but she told my uncle that the second check she was not going to put him and was going to pay him back cuz he didn't want to report it cuz then she would get in trouble and he didn't want that but yes nobody can claim you dependent that I now.

This Mary Pedersen Someone is using me on there taxes return I should have no one claim me at all I did not get a check because of that what do I do

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Please see the following information from the IRS if you believe someone filed a tax return using your social security number.

Reporting suspected tax fraud

You will not be able to e-file your return if you are getting a message indicating your information has already been reported on a return filed.  You will need to mail your tax return in.

Printing your return

My daughter claimed me as a dependent even though I told her not to - I was living in her house but paying rent and my social security income is over 25000 - I did not receive the stimul check because of this - as a matter of fact I miovex out August if 2019 and she still claimed me - said it was an accident because they just used the same template for dependents as the previous -2018 year - even though I shouldn’t have been claimed then - what is my recouse

I tried to file for my stimulus, however it stated that someone already filed me as dependent.  I didn't give anyone permission and I live alone. What can I do?

I was told by the IRS that I was claimed as a deputy and it was a family member which my son denied I haven’t lived with him in years I live alone what can I do

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies