turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BillMed

Social Security

Hi,

When I entered my wife's Social Security tax withheld amount in proper field in Turbo Tax I received a message that her employer withheld too much.  The suggestion was to call the employer and ask for a correctly stated W-2.  The employer told her, when she called, that the amount was correct.  I calculated her wages multiplied by 6.2% and the correct amount was withheld.  She has not worked for the full year, but I don't believe earning too little has an impact on what is owed for Social Security

Can I still continue with what I keyed in or will Turbo Tax require a corrected figure?

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Social Security

The first thing to do is to double check the W-2 information that was entered into TurboTax.  Often this error will pop up if a number has been entered incorrectly or a decimal is out of place.   

The important thing is that the information that you keyed in should match the W-2 you have in hand before you continue.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
BillMed

Social Security

Hello and thank you.  Yes, I did enter the information correctly, but I found that the employer had an error in the Social Security wages earned box.  By fixing that I think I should be fine.

Thank you for prompting me to relook at that!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies