BillMed

Social Security

Hi,

When I entered my wife's Social Security tax withheld amount in proper field in Turbo Tax I received a message that her employer withheld too much.  The suggestion was to call the employer and ask for a correctly stated W-2.  The employer told her, when she called, that the amount was correct.  I calculated her wages multiplied by 6.2% and the correct amount was withheld.  She has not worked for the full year, but I don't believe earning too little has an impact on what is owed for Social Security

Can I still continue with what I keyed in or will Turbo Tax require a corrected figure?

Thank you

AnnetteB6

Social Security

The first thing to do is to double check the W-2 information that was entered into TurboTax.  Often this error will pop up if a number has been entered incorrectly or a decimal is out of place.   

The important thing is that the information that you keyed in should match the W-2 you have in hand before you continue.  

BillMed

Social Security

Hello and thank you.  Yes, I did enter the information correctly, but I found that the employer had an error in the Social Security wages earned box.  By fixing that I think I should be fine.

Thank you for prompting me to relook at that!