Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I import info from quick books self employed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

How do I export my QuickBooks Self-Employed information to TurboTax Self-Employed or TurboTax Live?

The export can be done only from the online version of QuickBooks Self-Employed to TurboTax Online Self-Employed or TurboTax Live.  It will not work from QuickBooks Self-Employed to the TurboTax CD/Download; or from the mobile app version of QuickBooks Self-Employed.

·         Your accounts must be connected for the import to work: This means you log into QuickBooks Self-Employed and either TurboTax Self-Employed or TurboTax Live with the same log-in credentials.

Important! Before exporting, make sure your information in QuickBooks is final, as the export can only be done once. Should the export fail, you can manually input your business information into TurboTax Online Self-Employed by selecting Federal Taxes, then Income & Expenses, and working in the SELF-EMPLOYMENT INCOME/EXPENSES section.

Here's how to export:

1.    Sign in to QuickBooks Self-Employed,

2.    Select Tax Checklist in the upper right corner, or from the Annual taxes page, select Show checklist to get started.

3.    When you’re ready, select Export to TurboTax in the checklist.

4.    After the export, you will automatically be signed in to TurboTax using your same user ID and password from QuickBooks Self-Employed.

Now you can start on your tax return.

Some information will need to be entered manually into TurboTax Self-Employed or TurboTax Live, as these items do not import:

·         1099-K income - Here is how to enter your 1099-K.

·         For the following expenses, use these instructions to enter the expenses manually:

o    Vehicle loan interest

o    Other vehicle expenses

o    Home office expenses

o    Interest paid

·         For self-employment health insurance premiumsuse these instructions to enter the premiums manually.

Note: You will still need to manually enter your self-employment income into TurboTax. TurboTax needs all of the details about this income in order to report it accurately on your tax return. After you export your data from Quickbooks Self-Employed, TurboTax will guide you to enter your income.

Here are a few other things you should know:

·         TurboTax will not require a service code for payment.  Instead, your complimentary TurboTax payment will be recognized by the program when you use your Quickbooks Self-Employed User ID and password. So, make sure you are accessing TurboTax with the same User ID and password that you use for your QuickBooks Self-Employed account.

·         Meal expenses are imported at 100% deductible. TurboTax then determines the deductibility (50% for most businesses).

·         QuickBooks estimated tax payments generally cover federal income taxes, not self-employment taxes.

Related Information:

·         How do I access TurboTax Self-Employed when I’m ready to export my Quickbooks Self-Employed tax info...

·         How do I enter a 1099-K in TurboTax Online?

·         Where do I enter the home office deduction for my business?

·         What is the self-employment tax?

·         Where do I enter my business expenses in TurboTax CD/Download Home & Business?

·         Where do I enter my health insurance premiums in TurboTax CD/Download Home & Business if I'm self-em...

GEN87452

So you generally pay more in QuickBooks for this correct? And if it doesn't work you have to do it the way that you would have if done if you got the cheaper version?
VMCM

Wasted my money too.

I just came off a very frustrating chat session with customer service.   I subscribed to the QBSE-TurboTax Bundle last year so that I would be able to export my tax data directly from QB to TurboTax.   But now I am learning that Intuit only allows this feature to function within "The normal tax filing period." So I wasted my money, AND must now spend many more hours manually inputting this data, which is what I pay for these products to handle automatically. 

Why is this time limit put on a service for which customers pay a subscription?  This "proper filing period" is an absurdity.  The IRS allows extensions and amended returns long past the April 15 date, so why can't Intuit make this service available indefinitely?

The QBSE customer service agent could not explain this to me.  Perhaps TurboTax's team can do better.  

TaxCut is not Turbo Tax.  The QuickBooks Self Employed version only imports to the Online Turbo Tax Self Employed version and online is now closed.  Online just closed on Oct 15.   You shouldn't have waited to export QuickBooks to Online Self Employed version.  Online and Efiling always closes right after the Oct 15 extension deadline.

Tax Cut is a HR Block program.  I don't think you can even import QuickBooks Self Employed version into HR Block TaxCut.

I meant TurboTax.  I used to use TaxCut.

That's a rather intrusive question.  It is my business "why I wait so long," not yours.

My problem here is that Intuit offered a package, Tax Bundle, last year that I paid for and now find that it is "too late," and that it wouldn't work transferring to the TurboTax Home & Business program that I just paid $117 for.

Why is there a time limit on how long it will work?  The IRS is the regulator here, not Intuit.  

I am now manually entering all the data that I was expecting to be able to transfer in from my carefully-maintained Quickbooks program, which is precisely what I thought I was paying to avoid.

Turbo Tax Online  (and I think most Online  self prepared tax programs) close down soon after the Oct 15 extension deadline to get ready for the next year.  You have to submit your efile by Oct 15.  If it rejects you had until Oct. 20 to fix it and resend it.  Then Efiling is permanently closed for the current year.

Check over in the QuickBooks forum.  Maybe there is a way to convert your QuickBooks Self Employed version into a Desktop  QuickBooks program so you can import it to the Desktop Turbo Tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies