turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife filed Single on her W-2 taxes, instead of Married, Filing separately. What problems may arise from this once I file my taxes? Recently married before 2016.

Me and my wife recently got married before the beginning of 2016. Before getting married, she was claiming Single and 0 dependents on her W-4. She just recently filed her W2 under Single, instead of Married filing separately. What problems can arise whenever I go to file my taxes and input her Social in the info needed box, or what problems will arise at all?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

My wife filed Single on her W-2 taxes, instead of Married, Filing separately. What problems may arise from this once I file my taxes? Recently married before 2016.

Your wife will need to file an amended return to correct the mistake.  Wait until you receive her refund (and don't spend it all), before attempting to amend the return.  It is somewhat likely that she will have to repay some of that refund when she fixes her return, because Married Filing Separately is generally a worse filing status than Single.  Your other option is to file jointly, but that is even more complicated.  If you choose to do that, I would consult a tax professional even before filing your return.

What if she does not do that though? Will it just be taken out next year or what trouble can she get in for it?

It is very likely that if you try to efile your return (Married Filing Separately) that it will be rejected because you are required to include your spouse's social security number in order to e-file.  You can print and mail your tax return in, but eventually (it might take a year or so), the IRS will want an explanation as to what is going on and may assess a penalty.

What I meant is if I put her social in what will happen? Will it come up saying that it can't file because she filed under single and doesn't recognize it or what?

Your return will be rejected because the IRS will recognize that a return with that social security number has already been filed.

So what will happen if I file next year with the one for 2016?

Like if I just don't file this year because I'm trying to convince her that she'll need to make an amendment.

If you don't file, the IRS will figure it out and demand that you file.  You also can't file income from more than one year in the same tax return.  2015 income must be included in 2015 tax returns.  2016 income must be included in 2016 tax returns.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies