Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ian153

Small Account Gains

If I have several investing accounts that started at $4 and ended in the $10-12, such that I had about 7 dollars in gains in each is in necessary to file for every one of the accounts or are the accounts and gains small enough such that it isn't important?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Small Account Gains

See https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc409

You do not recognize (report on your tax return) gains that accrued to your account where the securities generating the gains have not been sold. 

In other words, you need to sell the securities in your accounts before you have report your gains.

Small Account Gains

If you have realized gains, I believe the broker is not required to issue a 1099-B if the amount is less than $10, so the IRS might not know about it.    However, the tax laws take the position that you must report all your income, no matter how small the individual pieces are.  

Small Account Gains

The under $10 (de minimis) exception applies to Forms 1099-INT and 1099-DIV (interest and dividends).

There is no exception, of which I am aware, of any de minimis exception to reporting securities transactions on Form 1099-B (see Section 6045 and the Regs promulgated thereunder).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies