Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jayserm

Should I 0 or 1 on a Form W4 for Tax Withholding Allowance being a dependent?

Hello,

I am currently 21 years old and single and I will start a new job (my first job). I am on the process of filling a W4 form and I am not sure what should I put as allowances.

About me:

I am claimed as dependent on my parent's tax form and I have 0 dependents. I hear that I am safe to put 1 so I can get paid more but I am not really sure if it will lead to an issue with the IRS. 

What do you think? Should I put 0 or 1?

Note: The state is WA.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you put "0" then more will be withheld from your pay for taxes than if you put "1"--so that is correct. The more "allowances" you claim on your W-4 the more you get in your take-home pay.  Just do not have so little withheld that you owe at tax time.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4/

But are you sure you will be a dependent on your parents' return?  You are 21?  Are you still a full-time student?  If you are a full-time student then your parents can still claim you as a dependent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

12 Replies

If you put "0" then more will be withheld from your pay for taxes than if you put "1"--so that is correct. The more "allowances" you claim on your W-4 the more you get in your take-home pay.  Just do not have so little withheld that you owe at tax time.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4/

But are you sure you will be a dependent on your parents' return?  You are 21?  Are you still a full-time student?  If you are a full-time student then your parents can still claim you as a dependent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jayserm

Hello,

Thanks for your answer. I just graduated from college so I am not longer a full-time student. In addition, as 2017 tax, I was claimed as dependent and the W4 form I need to fill is from 2017.

What do you mean you are just now filling out a 2017 W-4?  Why?  If you are starting a job in 2018 you should be filling out a 2018 W-4.  
It should look like this:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf</a>
If you were a full-time student for the first 5 months of 2018 then your parents will still be able to claim you as a dependent for 2018.
jayserm

For some reasons (I asked them why (waiting for response)) they are still using the 2017 version. However, I was a full-time student for the first 5 months of 2018.

So when you file your own return for 2018, you will say on it that you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return.
jayserm

So, I should state 0 in this case
aruiz37

I am 21 years old. On my W-4 I am currently as Single with 0 allowances.

I am currently living with my significant other, who is not working. Could I put myself as Head of Household with 0 allowances on my 2020 W-4?

Any advice? 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

@aruiz37

My advice would be to keep the Single with zero allowances on your W-4.  

Unless you have a 'qualifying person' on your return, you would not be able to use the Head of Household filing status when the time comes to file your 2020 tax return.  As a result, using that filing status on your W-4 may lead to not having enough taxes withheld.

Take a look at the following TurboTax article for more information about the Head of Household filing status:  What is a "qualifying person" for Head of Household?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

@stevewnbrg Do you have a scenario you would like to elaborate on for assistance? The IRS has updated the W-4 form for 2020. Here are some frequently asked questions as resolved by the IRS to assist in completing the form.

W-4 FAQs

Is the income tax separated from the earn child income or is it all together

You can claim either 0 or 1 on your W-4. It won't create problems with the IRS, it will just determine how much you'll get back on your tax return next year. If you claim 0, you will get less back on paychecks and more back on your tax refund. If you claim 1, you will get more back on your paychecks and less back on your tax refund when you file next year. However, you will want to check and make sure that, if you do claim 1 on your W-4, you are still having enough taken out that you will not end up owing anything in taxes when you file next year. 

*** All information was obtained from personal experience. No information was obtained from an outside source or anything/anyone in connection with the IRS or Tax Forms/Companies***

** Click the 'Cheers' button if you agree with the advice given!! 😁 **

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

As part of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, the IRS and Treasury adjusted the tax withholding tables, which affects the amount of income taxes withheld from your pay.  For 2020, W4's have been completely redesigned.  Exemptions or Allowances are no longer applicable. 

My suggestion is to use the IRS Tax Withholding Estimator here

FAQs on the 2020 Form W4.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies