turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my spouse and I file for an extension to file as joint taxpayers, can we change our filing status to filing individually before the extended filing date?

I understand that taxpayers who file joint return may NOT amend their filing status to filing individually AFTER they have filed a return.  However, if they make a joint request to extend their filing date until October 15th, are they permitted to change their filing status before filing their return on or before October 15th?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If my spouse and I file for an extension to file as joint taxpayers, can we change our filing status to filing individually before the extended filing date?

See IRS Form 4868 Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return instructions on page 2 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4868.pdf

If you and your spouse jointly file Form 4868 but later file separate returns for 2015, you can enter the total amount paid with Form 4868 on either of your separate returns. Or you and your spouse can divide the payment in any agreed amounts. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

See IRS Form 4868 Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return instructions on page 2 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4868.pdf

If you and your spouse jointly file Form 4868 but later file separate returns for 2015, you can enter the total amount paid with Form 4868 on either of your separate returns. Or you and your spouse can divide the payment in any agreed amounts. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies