Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Search Bar never provides the "Jump to" link many instructions say it should

The search bar never seems to provide a "Jump to" link!  Many, many "solutions" online e.g. at ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support say similar things: Type the form name into the search bar and select the "Jump to" link in the results.  But that does not work because there is no "Jump to" shown.

When I click the search magnifying glass icon, a "Turbotax Digital Assistant" opens with an input box "Type something...".  If I type a form name there such as 1099-R or K-1 all I get is a useless generic message like this:

"Happy to help! 🤖🦾
First, I need you to clue me in to what you need by entering a few words/simple phrase... Otherwise, I'd suggest you ask the TurboTaxCommunity for help instead 👇

You also have the option to get support by phone, although wait times may vary 👇👇
TurboTax Community 

"

What am I doing wrong?  Why doesn't the search bar actually show the "Jump to" links which it apparently shows everyone else who writes those solution articles?

Using TT Home & Business CD installed on Windows 10.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@jimavera For the desktop editions -

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
Scroll down to Business Items (Business Investment and Estate/Trust Income using Home and Business)
On Schedule K-1, click on the start or update button

View solution in original post

BillM223
Expert Alumni

In the last few weeks, the development team inexplicably added the Digital Assistant in place of the Search function. The Digital Assistant cannot find the jump-to links that were used for years to navigate the return.

I had heard recently that the Online product was reverted back, but I see that it still does not work for the CD/download product.

In short, you can't use the jump-to links in the CD/download product.

What are you looking for? Perhaps we can supply the manual navigation to what you need.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

13 Replies
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Please clarify what part of the return is giving trouble and we are happy to assist. We cannot see your return from here, although it seems as if you were in the process for phone support and they often can review your screens with you.

I am sorry that the "Jump to" links were not displaying.  Usually they do but not always.  

> Please clarify what part of the return is giving trouble and we are happy to assist.

I'm entering income, i.e. in the "Personal Income" section.  I clicked "I'll choose what to work on", and am now looking at "Your 2022 Income Summary" with sections for Imports, Wages and Salaries, etc.

Now I click the maginfying-glass icon next to "SEARCH" in the upper right.   A pop-up window with title "TurboTax Help" appears. Inside the pop-up is "Hellow & welcome" etc. etc. and finally four teal dots and"Type something...".  I type "K-1".  It answers "Happy to help! To manually add or edit a tax form, follow these steps: 1) Open (continue) return.  2) Locate the Search bar by the (magnifying glass) icon. Search for the form name ... and select the Jump to link in the search results..."

So basically it is telling me to do exactly what I just did, i.e. click the Search bar (which isn't a bar but opens this big pop-up) and type the form name.   So useless.

Please compare what happens with the advice given at https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/import-export-data-files/enter-k-1-recei... which says to enter "K-1" into Search and select the "Jump to k-1" link (which of course is not there).

@jimavera 

To enter a Schedule K-1

Click on Federal on the left side of the online program screen
Click on Wages & Income
Scroll down to S-corps, Partnerships, and Trusts
On Schedule K-1, Q, click on the start or revisit button

Thanks, but can you explain how to make the search bar work like the online help topics say?

It is if I am not actually accessing a "search bar" but some other help system which isn't very helpful.

Oh, and your answer was for the online turbo tax produce, which is NOT what I'm using!  There is no "Federal" button, just "PERSONAL INFO", "BUSINESS", "PERSONAL", "STATE TAXES", "REVIEW", and "FILE".

The closest thing to what you said to use is "Wages and Salaries", which has nothing about K-1s in it.

In summary, WHERE is K-1 data entered in the *download* Turbotax for Windows??

If you are using the TurboTax online edition,  you click on the magnifying glass Search in the upper right of the online program screen.  This opens the Search box.  In the Search field type in the search parameter, such as k-1 and then press Enter on your keyboard.  If the parameter was correct and correctly entered there will be a Jump to link directly below the search box, like Jump to k-1

Some web browsers prevent the Search from working properly.  I use Google Chrome and it has always worked.  Or the web browser need to have cache cleared to get the Search to work.

Here is a screenshot for a k-1 Search

Search k-1.JPG

@jimavera For the desktop editions -

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
Scroll down to Business Items (Business Investment and Estate/Trust Income using Home and Business)
On Schedule K-1, click on the start or update button

> If you are using the TurboTax online edition, you click on ...

Please read the question. It just clutters things up to see irrelevant replies (e.g. for online TT which is not relevant to download/PC desktop users).

I'm clicking "best answer" here because it answers the immediate question, but the REAL question is how can I help myself using the online help system if the "search" feature does not do what it apparently does for everyone else, i.e. why it does not show the results advertised in TT help topics online...

I had the same issues.  No jump to box.  The box where you could pull up information got replaced by the useless digital assistant.  I  have used Turbo Tax for years but this year I struggled with it, not happy.  It was difficult to get answers as my Turbo Tax did not work like everyone else.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It's understandable. Be sure to select Federal and then Wages and Income or Deductions and Credits or Other before using the Search and Jump to... Links.  This should help when you need to use those instructions.

It also helps to periodically use the clear your cache and cookies. It handles many issues that seem nonsensical on a regular basis. 

• Close your TurboTax return first.

Watch to be sure you are selecting 'all time' as example.  Do not use selections like 'last hour' for those browsers that give  you options.

@lorenzolj 

What are you talking about?!?   I'm  inside the TurboTax application using the SEARCH feature inside the TT app.  Not viewing anything in a browser.    It is really frustrating that Intuit employees provide this kind of irrelevant boilerplate!

To repeat, this is inside the download version of the TT application running on Windows 10.  NOT the online Turbotax product.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

In the last few weeks, the development team inexplicably added the Digital Assistant in place of the Search function. The Digital Assistant cannot find the jump-to links that were used for years to navigate the return.

I had heard recently that the Online product was reverted back, but I see that it still does not work for the CD/download product.

In short, you can't use the jump-to links in the CD/download product.

What are you looking for? Perhaps we can supply the manual navigation to what you need.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies