turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dameronws

Schedule D. When is it not required? I have capital loss carryover. Third party designee number?

When is Schedule D not required?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Schedule D. When is it not required? I have capital loss carryover. Third party designee number?

The IRS instructions for Schedule D list the following reasons that Schedule D is required.

• To figure the overall gain or loss from transactions reported on Form 8949;
  • To report certain transactions you don't have to report on Form 8949;
  • To report a gain from Form 2439 or 6252 or Part I of Form 4797;
  • To report a gain or loss from Form 4684, 6781, or 8824;
  • To report a gain or loss from a partnership, S corporation, estate, or trust;
  • To report capital gain distributions not reported directly on Schedule 1 (Form
    1040), line 13 (or effectively connected capital gain distributions not reported directly
    on Form 1040NR, line 14); and
  • To report a capital loss carryover from 2017 to 2018.

Schedule D is not required if none of the listed reasons apply. It is not required if your only capital gains are capital gain distributions reported in box 2a of Form 1099-DIV (unless one of the reasons listed above also applies). Note that Schedule D is required if you have a capital loss carryover (the last bullet in the list above).

Schedule D has nothing to do with a third-party designee. A third-party designee is entered on Schedule 6.

How do I figure capital loss carry over amount as Turbo tax didn't generate reschedule D for me in 2018.

I have no capital gains or losses for 2021, but there is a carryover from 2020. How do I claim it in Turbotax?

@earl45connor wrote:

I have no capital gains or losses for 2021, but there is a carryover from 2020. How do I claim it in Turbotax?

For a capital loss carryover -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Under Investment Income
  • On Capital Loss Carryover, click the start or update button

Or enter capital loss carryover in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to capital loss carryover

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies