turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If combined mortgage interest ($12k) + charitable ($6k) + SALT (>$10k) is greater than the standard deduction $24,000 (married, jointly), why doesn't TurboTax itemize?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If combined mortgage interest ($12k) + charitable ($6k) + SALT (>$10k) is greater than the standard deduction $24,000 (married, jointly), why doesn't TurboTax itemize?

SALT is limited to $10,000 (State And Local Taxes). And the Standard Deduction is $26,600 only if both taxpayers are 65 or older or blind (if just one is, then the Standard Deduction is $25,300).

Mortgage interest has other limitations, but they are based on when you took the loan out, how large it was, and for what purpose.

Your description describes itemized deductions of at least $28k, so one would think that Itemized Deductions would be chosen.

One possibility is that you chose to force the Standard Deduction anyway (I know it's unlikely, but humor me). Do a Search (upper right) for "itemized deductions, choosing" (lower case, without the double quotes), and jump to it. Here you can force it one way or the other.

Otherwise, please look at your return and tell use what amount you have on line 8 of the 1040 (go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->View Tax Summary, and then back on the left, click on View my 1040), and also tell use the amounts for each part of Schedule A (medical, taxes, interest, charitable contributions).

[Edited 4/5/2019 1:37 PM]

Be sure to indicate that the mortgage is secured by the property.

I edited the answer above because part of it was replying not to the original post, but to another answer that has since been removed by the moderators.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies