Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

S-Corp Taxes, Deductions and Payroll

Hi Team-

I have a 5 month old S-Corp and would like to pay myself. In addition, I have opened a business bank account and have used some of the funds for business expenses. Prior to opening the biz account I used my personal card. 

How can I pay myself properly and receive business deductions from my biz account and the purchases from my personal?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
mfields2
Employee Tax Expert

S-Corp Taxes, Deductions and Payroll

Receiving deductions from your business account is easy - as long as they meet the definition of a business expense (ordinary and necessary for the business), you will take them as a deduction when you file your business tax return.

As an S-Corporation, you are required to pay yourself reasonable compensation in the form of a salary.  You should use a payroll provider to ensure compliance with all federal, state and local income tax withholding and submission requirements, as well as to handle or facilitate workers compensation and federal and state unemployment taxes.  While it is possible to do this yourself, it can be very tricky and there are penalties for doing it incorrectly.  Intuit offers payroll services through Quickbooks, our accounting software, so it might be worth it to check it out.

In terms of the expenses that you paid with your personal funds, I would create an expense reimbursement form that you use to reimburse yourself for those costs - similar to what you would use as an employee, submitting expenses to an employer.  While this may seem like you are moving something from one hand to the other (you own the company that is paying you), the IRS sees you and the S-Corporation as two separate entities.  This process of creating a formal reimbursement form that you report expenses is also what you should use for things like business mileage, business meals, travel, cell phone costs, home internet and home office expenses (best practice: create a home office spreadsheet that mirrors the IRS form, and create a reimbursement form by mid-December to reimburse yourself for home office costs).  This is the cleanest and best way to incorporate all of your business income and expenses into your business account and remove the "personal account" aspect of your current situation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies