Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rollover requires me to complete a 1099B and 4989?

I sold part of an IRA and received a check directly (as opposed to institution to institution) which I deposited to another broker approx. 40 days later. I received a 1099R from the former and a 5498 from the latter. Turbo tax has determined that I do not owe money on this rollover, however the review says I now have work sheets to complete that turbo tax is not explaining. I did not receive a 1099B, which TurboTax says I need to generate.  The 1099B asks for

1) the "reporting institution", are they referring to the selling broker (who's info was already given from the 1099-R) or the new broker?

2) I have the sell date requested but they also want the "date received", is that the date the new broker received the check?

3) The cost or adjusted basis? Is this just the amount of the rollover (which was the entire check)? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

What do you mean you sold part of a IRA?  You only take distributions from a IRA.  You only report the 1099R.  You do not report sales from a IRA.  Don't fill out a 1099 B for sales.  Delete all that.  

"Part of", as in I didn't close out the account, I only took a portion (the daily max.). I think it's generated all of these additional forms because I requested the check sent to me directly and then later deposited it with a new broker (Fidelity). Had I set up the Fidelity account first and then did an "institution" transfer, I don't think they would require an explanation. At least that's the way I understand it from researching?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies