turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

abeenoch

What do I need to do to file a grantor trust tax return for 2017?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieH1

Revocable trusts (Grantor Trusts) are not required to file a tax return or form 1041. 

When grantor trust status applies, either the grantor or a beneficiary is treated as the owner of the activity inside the trust for income tax purposes. In that case, the deemed owner must include the activity of the trust on his or her personal tax return (see Regs. Sec. 1.671-2(a)).

It is optional if you want to file a 1041 to list only the trust’s name, address, and tax identification number (TIN) (see Regs. Sec. 1.671-4(a)). The assets owned by the trust are normally titled so that the earnings are initially reported by the payor (i.e., the brokerage firm, partnership, or, in many cases, an S corporation, etc.) as being taxable to the trust. However, by filing the Form 1041, the trustee is in effect letting the IRS know that the items of income or deductions are instead reportable by the “deemed owner.” The activity that is reportable by the deemed owner is summarized on a separate statement (a grantor tax information letter), which is attached to the otherwise blank Form 1041 when it is submitted to the IRS.

If you decide you want to file a 1041, you can use TurboTax Business to do the 1041 form.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JulieH1

Revocable trusts (Grantor Trusts) are not required to file a tax return or form 1041. 

When grantor trust status applies, either the grantor or a beneficiary is treated as the owner of the activity inside the trust for income tax purposes. In that case, the deemed owner must include the activity of the trust on his or her personal tax return (see Regs. Sec. 1.671-2(a)).

It is optional if you want to file a 1041 to list only the trust’s name, address, and tax identification number (TIN) (see Regs. Sec. 1.671-4(a)). The assets owned by the trust are normally titled so that the earnings are initially reported by the payor (i.e., the brokerage firm, partnership, or, in many cases, an S corporation, etc.) as being taxable to the trust. However, by filing the Form 1041, the trustee is in effect letting the IRS know that the items of income or deductions are instead reportable by the “deemed owner.” The activity that is reportable by the deemed owner is summarized on a separate statement (a grantor tax information letter), which is attached to the otherwise blank Form 1041 when it is submitted to the IRS.

If you decide you want to file a 1041, you can use TurboTax Business to do the 1041 form.

So do I just print a blank 1041, even tho TT generates the #s on the 1041?

If you actually have numbers on your 1041, you did not select "Grantor Trust" when you started your return.

The only figures that should appear should be on your Grantor Information Statement.

@sawtoothjs

Thank you!  I will give it a try.

I looked at my 1041 and the grantor trust box IS checked.  Don't know why the #s are still showing up.  If you can offer any other suggestions, it would really help.

Occasionally the numbers, once entered, will get stuck regardless. You can try clearing the numbers in Forms Mode.
Bob980

life partners position holders trust ,has sent me a Grantor Letter How do I enter it in TT premier.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies