Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tr88frog

Why are long term capital gains included in my taxable income if the tax rate on CG is 0% ?

taxable income = $92000 on joint return.  the $92000 includes $10000 of long term capital gains which was entered on line 13 of 1040.

thanks all.  by consulting the tax tables for 2017, I can see TurboTax calculated taxes based on $82000 +/-.  so the CG were not taxed.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Why are long term capital gains included in my taxable income if the tax rate on CG is 0% ?

The gains would be shown on your tax return regardless of whether the tax rate is 0% or higher. The tax rate on capital gains is determined by adding the capital gains to your other income and determining what the tax bracket is with the total. Your tax bracket may be 25% with $92,000 of total income which would make some or all of your capital gains taxed at 15%. 

Review how the income was being taxed  on the Quailifying Dividends & Cap Gain Worksheet ... they are not calculated in a vacume ... the rest of your income is taken into account as well.

if you have capital gains or qualified dividends the tax on line 44 is not taken from the tax table but is calculated separately from schedule D.  The tax will be calculated on the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet.  It does not get filed with your return.  In the online version you need to save your return as a pdf file and include all worksheets to see it.  

and State taxes may be different.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies