Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Returns Rejected - 2018 AGI incorrect

Sorry you have to keep waiting for federal.  The IRS has limited staff because of Covid-19 and has not been opening the mail.  See my post above.

Rclute

Thank you to the person who said to switch the taxpayers when the issue has to do with a deceased taxpayer. Dad died in 2019 so I was filing the taxes for my mom - dad died in March so I did them last year too.... Had my dad listed first and was getting the e-file error that the agi didn't match(3 or 4 times). I looked at last years return AND actually logged into the irs and looked at the 2018 return transcript and verified the amount i was putting in was correct. Came here and thought I was destined to have to mail in the return, which i was dreading since I hadn't done that in many, many years. Then saw someone(you) say to switch and make the person who was alive the primary taxpayer... Then received the e-mail that my return was accepted... Thank you!!!!!!!

20454-0382
Returning Member

I FILED MY TAX RETURNS IN FEB AND WAS REJECTED BY E-MAIL SEVERAL TIMES BECAUSE THEY SAID MY A REFUND, COULCC CGI WAS INCORRECT.FINALLY THEY SAID TO SEND A PAPER RETURN WHICH I DID ON MAR 4TH.ON MAR 14  I RECEIVED MY STATE REFUND DIRECT DEPOSIT AND I STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED MY FEDERAL REFUND.I KNOW THAT MY STATE REFUND WAS BEING HELD UNTIL MY FEDERAL WAS ACCEPTED AND WHEN MY STATE WAS DEPOSIED I ASSUMED MY FEDERAL WAS FINNALLY ACCEPTED BUT I STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED MY FEDERAL

@20454-0382 wrote:

I FILED MY TAX RETURNS IN FEB AND WAS REJECTED BY E-MAIL SEVERAL TIMES BECAUSE THEY SAID MY A REFUND, COULCC CGI WAS INCORRECT.FINALLY THEY SAID TO SEND A PAPER RETURN WHICH I DID ON MAR 4TH.ON MAR 14  I RECEIVED MY STATE REFUND DIRECT DEPOSIT AND I STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED MY FEDERAL REFUND.I KNOW THAT MY STATE REFUND WAS BEING HELD UNTIL MY FEDERAL WAS ACCEPTED AND WHEN MY STATE WAS DEPOSIED I ASSUMED MY FEDERAL WAS FINNALLY ACCEPTED BUT I STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED MY FEDERAL

Due to the pandemic the IRS has not processed paper tax returns for several months.  They have just recently started to process the tax returns on an as received basis.

Go to this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

If accepted by the IRS use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Ljeg18
Returning Member

My return was rejected for incorrect AGI for 2018 which is correct.  I filed the 2019 returns on Oct 15 which was the last day to file for extension.  If I requested for a transcript for IRS, wouldn't my return be considered too late not knowing how long it will take for that to arrive?

I don't want to file by mail because that may not be processed in time for me to receive my stimulus check which is being held till I file 2019 return.

My return was rejected because it said the AGI was incorrect.  I put the correct number on the return and I viewed the IRS transcript and they had the same number as the one I used.  How do I proceed from here?

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

If you are preparing a 2020 return, you should be using the 2019 AGI instead of the 2018 AGI.

As long as you are doing the 2020 return, try entering the 2019 AGI to see if it makes the difference.

The 2020 return is the only return we are currently able to  e-file.

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

If you are preparing a 2020 return, you should be using the 2019 AGI instead of the 2018 AGI.

As long as you are doing the 2020 return, try entering the 2019 AGI to see if it makes the difference.

The 2020 return is the only return we are currently able to e-file.

I have given 3 different figures and all have been refused.  my 2019 tax return does not have a line #11

only 11a and 11b.

Please help!

@amaspence1 wrote:

I have given 3 different figures and all have been refused.  my 2019 tax return does not have a line #11

only 11a and 11b.

Please help!

The 2019 AGI is found on your 2019 Federal tax return Form 1040 Line 8b

To access your prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on View adjusted gross income (AGI)

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

Or go to this IRS website for free federal tax return transcripts - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

For a fee of $43 you can get a complete federal tax return from the IRS by completing Form 4506 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

usafret98
Returning Member

what should i do

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If you have your 2019 tax return, your AGI is on line 8b of the Form 1040.   If you don't have 2019 available you can try to enter a zero.  You can also request a transcript from the IRS Get an IRS Transcript.

Finally, the last resort is to mail your tax return.  TurboTax will print an instruction sheet explaining where to mail the returns.

To mail your Individual Income Tax Return please review the following:

Completing your Return

• Do not staple or attach your check, W-2s or any other documents to your return.
  • Submit proper documentation (schedules, statements and supporting documentation, including W-2s, other states’ tax returns, or necessary federal returns and schedules).
  • Use the correct form - forms differ by tax type and tax year.  Look at the bottom of the form for the required pages to submit.
  • Double-check your return.
  • Review personal information (social security number (SSN), address, date of birth) on your return for each person listed 
  • Sign your return.
  • Taxpayers must sign and date their returns
  • Both spouses must sign the joint return, even if there was only one income reported
  • Mail your return, payment, and all necessary documentation to the appropriate address listed on the return.

How do I print and mail my return in TurboTax Onli... (intuit.com)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
usafret98
Returning Member

help me

usafret98
Returning Member

give me your phone number

@usafret98  What do you need help with?  Please ask a full question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies