turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Return rejected because of AGI or 5 digit pin. AGI is correct

We are glad that you were able to resolve the issue. Thank you for the update!

@bpross

gailsheridanlucht
Returning Member

I double checked both AGI and pin from 2020 tax records and they are the same as 2021.  This has to be a Turbo Tax error as they were autofilled in by turbo tax. What can be done?  Has been rejected three times and is preventing filing the state reutrn as well. Very frustrating.  Your response to a previous person with a similar issue for troubleshooting did not apply. 

@gailsheridanlucht 

There is a good possibility that the IRS does not have your 2020 AGI in their database.

Enter a 0 (zero) for the 2020 AGI and e-file the 2021 tax return again.

barnesd75
Returning Member

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Do you have a specific question we could help you with? Please respond to this thread for further assistance.  @barnesd75

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
eagsgiron

The AGI is correct.  I did not file with Turbo Tax last year and I didn't have a pin number as far as I can remember.  What would the PIN from last year be?

Katina S
Intuit Alumni

If you don't have or remember the  self select PIN from last year, you can create a new one when you are ready to electronically sign your tax return.

@eagsgiron

jshrek

When you are e-filing and it asks you to enter a 5-digit Self-Select PIN (can be any number), this number can literally be anything and does not need to match any previous year, and can be different every time you submit. You do not need to remember it.

So per a call I had with TurboTax Customer Support, if you get the error about the AGI or PIN being incorrect, then try:

(1) Verify your AGI and re-submit again, using the same AGI that you already know is correct.

(2) If it gets rejected again, then try re-submitting one more time but use an AGI of $0 (zero).

These two options is what support told me to try. Doing AGI of $0 ended up working.

June17
Returning Member

I tried the actual correct AGI and I tried enter "0", both got rejected.  what should I do next?  thanks. 

June17
Returning Member

will get an online account at IRS to get Tax Transcript helpful?  I really don't want to print out all the pages and mail it the old fashion way.   thanks 

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Possibly. Please see this Help Article for information regarding entering the correct AGI but still getting an e-file rejection.

If you need additional assistance, please feel free to contact Customer Support so you can speak with someone who can assist you.

@June17 

wkonowitz
Returning Member

Hi folks. The way to satisfy this requirement is to get an IP PIN from the IRS. First thing you need to do is go to ID.ME and fill out the required info so the IRS knows who you are. Once you have done that, go to the IRS website SA.www4.IRS.Gov/OLA/ and sign in. Go to Help. Search IP PIN. Go to get an ID Protection PIN. Go to get an IP PIN. Then you will get a six digit number. This will identify you to the IRS as being you and your return will go through. The AGI number etc is of no consequence. Do the aforementioned and you won't have a problem filing electronically. Good luck. 

June17
Returning Member

Hi, I did what you said, and I got to IRS and open the online account.  Surprisingly, IRS has no records of my 2022's tax records at all.  I filed jointly with my husband every year on time.  I paid them quarterly tax with 1040-ES, and every check has been cashed by IRS.  but no records is shown online. 

We also have NOT received the refund for our 2022 tax return. when go to "where is my return", it says "return received".  

I don't know what else to do, really don't want to file in paper, because then it will be a nightmare in 2023 again.   please help, thanks

@June17 If the IRS website indicates the 2022 tax return was received then the IRS has your 2022 tax return.

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.
See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

June17
Returning Member

Thank you.  I think the problem is that the IRS has NOT processed my return for 2021, thus, they don't have my AGI.  when I tried to enter it as "0", it did not work.  what do I do now?  Should I try to get the 6 digit IP PIN from IRS?  thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies