Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Required to purchase deluxe

Why was I required to purchase deluxe and after my phone consultation, nothing was wrong with my tax file? Initially, system said social security held was off, but consultation revealed nothing was wrong. I would like a refund! While the service is cool, I didn't need it!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Did you have more than 1 employer?  You get back any excess Social Security paid on your tax return and need to use Deluxe for that.  Check 1040 Schedule 3 line 11 for it.  Then Schedule 3 goes to 1040 line 18d.

Or it said your employer took out too much SS?  You could have fixed that and stayed in Free.  There's been a lot of questions for this. Seems to be the way the employer's are rounding in box 4.  Try leaving off the cents in W2 box 4.  That's been working for other users. Maybe even reduce box 4 by $1.

Get a calculator and check each W2 box 3&4.  Multiply box 3 x .062 and it should be box 4.  The max for all box 4 combined (but only for each person) is $8,239.80. Even one penny over from rounding will be excess.  So leave off the cents!  Or post back with the amounts in boxes 3&4.

To ask for a refund,  Contact Customer Service
5am-5pm Pacific Time Monday -Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies