Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

giri

Transmission failed error - couldn't e-file my federal tax returns.

Despite being charged for "TurboTax Deluxe", I was not able to process "e-file returns". At the final step of filing, it returns an error message:

Your Transmission Didn't Go Through
We could not e-file your return for the following reason:
The Intuit Electronic Filing System is having difficulty recognizing the data in the return you are sending. To ensure you have the latest version of TurboTax, wait 24 hours to update your program automatically. If you still can't transmit your return, go to www.support.turbotax.com for a solution or workaround. In some cases, you may need to file your return by mail. - 601ERRV:5, CustHdr_13 - ?:? - Invalid Day Phone Number. Must be between 10 and 14 digits.

I'm trying this after 2 attempts, in both cases I see the same Transmission error.

I'm very disappointed with the filing - at first I was looking for an "Absolute Zero" feature but somehow it forced me to buy "Deluxe" - expecting a hassle free filing, I've subscribed to Turbo Tax Deluxe and incurred the charges/fee. Unfortunately, I'm having more troubles with Deluxe.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

If the phone number in the My Info section is blank or the wrong number of digits, it might give this error. 

To check your phone entry, click on My Info, on the left menu, and to the right of your address, click on the icon of the blue pencil. This will open the screen to edit your address and phone is at the bottom.

Enter your complete and accurate phone number and be sure to press Continue until the section completes and the changes are saved.

If this does not stop the error message, you may need to close your browser and clear your cache/cookies/temporary internet files, or use a different browser.

If this does not stop the error message, this TurboTax FAQ has information and a click-for-email-notification link, at the bottom.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4177463

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I USED TO WORK FOR IRS AND TURBOTAX YOUR ANSWER SYSTEM  DOES NOT ADDRESS MY PROBLEM.  I

NEED TO TALK TO  MANAGER NOW ASAP [phone number removed] 

DOUGLAS SNYDER  JD,CFP,CHFC,CLU,CPCU,RHU

Not impressed by the alphabet soup after your name since this is a public internet forum.

Next,  if you want to talk to someone at TT support you can ... call on monday as no one on this public forum will call you and if someone does then they are scammers looking for PII ...

Contact TurboTax support and speak directly with a TurboTax support agent concerning this situation.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for a contact link and hours of operation -https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number
They are available M-F  from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time.

@douglassnyder 

And you were told how to contact TT support in the past ...  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/425619

And we who answer questions on this forum  quite successfully MAY be able to help you if you would just post a question ... many of us have been at this for several years and are very knowledgeable. 

tsummey5

The phone number in the "My info" section is NOT blank currently displaying [phone number removed]. TurboTax online automatically adds the parentheses, space, and the dash.

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

If you have a question, try starting a new thread with the question.

rmp
Returning Member

I have an older MacBook with High Sierra OS and after speaking with tech support the problem is the older operating system with the state return. They don't have a workaround yet , but I run windows 10 with parallels desktop on the same machine I reloaded Turbo tax on the windows virtual machine and was able to file. Hope this helps

GoBlue526
Returning Member

Will the error be resolved? Mine keeps saying I need an update in order to e-file, but when I check there are no updates available. Also am using High Sierra on an older MacBook.

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

@GoBlue526 Please click here for some steps to force update your TurboTax software for MAC. If this does not work, please let us know. 

GoBlue526
Returning Member

Tried that a few times yesterday. Then quiz TurboTax. Restarted the computer. Started TT up again, and received the same error message. Tried again today to force the update before trying to e-file and same message. Any other suggestions?

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Yes, please contact customer support using this link:https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

You will advise the representative on the phone that it is a known issue and that the solution is to push them first a federal soft, then state.  This solution works assuming you have already paid the fee to file. After a new download is pushed, it works like magic. 

From the TurboTax online assistant, I got a link to download a copy of TurboTax federal and state tax software. I exported my tax return from the web version, imported it into the downloaded desktop version, and was able to e-file from the desktop version without any problems. Go figure!

The phone number with address are correct, but still get error message.

@ hejian2018 wrote:

The phone number with address are correct, but still get error message.

You didn't mention the particular error and circumstance, so I'll take a guess.  Are you in a foreign country by any chance?

Is this the error you are getting (or something similar)?

601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

If so, here's the workaround:

If you have a phone number listed in your Intuit Account settings, then you must make sure you use a valid 10-digit domestic USA phone number in both your Intuit Account settings and in your return.   Or you can try removing the phone number in the Intuit Account.

See if this FAQ helps:

FAQ:   601ERRV:5  Invalid SMS Number

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/why-am-i-getting-601errv-5-custhdr-17...

See if this answer by TurboTax CatinaT1 helps:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-my-federal-e-file-is-not-going-through-i-m-giv...

Also see this answer by TurboTax DawnC in the thread linked below.  She also says it may be possible to leave the phone number blank in the Intuit Account settings. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-i-try-efile-but-i-get-message-invalid-sms-numb...

Also see this other thread with other out-of-country users with the same problem who were able to correct the error.  Several have posted anecdotes there about how they solved it.   If you continue to have trouble, post there, and they may be able to help you.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/my-federal-e-file-is-not-going-through-i-m-given-...

NOTE: 

A couple of users have said that even after making changes to (or removing) the phone in the Intuit Account, the efile problem still happened, until they logged out of TurboTax then logged back in. Apparently that reset something.

So if you make any changes to the phone number listed in your Intuit Account settings, after you save the settings, log out of TurboTax and close the browser. Then reopen it and log back in and try to efile.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies