Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet

If you did not receive your first and/or second stimulus payment or if the amount received is not correct, you can claim it on your 2020 tax return as the Recovery Rebate Credit. 

  

In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following: 

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off 

2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen 

3. On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue 

4. Follow the interview 

5. TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus 

6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How do I claim the Recovery Rebate Credit (Line #30) using Turbotax Deluxe software.  I do not see this potion when I go through the Deductions and Credit TAB.  

After you have entered your tax information and are ready for the Federal Review, it will be the first question.

If you are trying to trigger it, you can go to Other Situations, answer any questions and click Done. The next automatic selection is Federal Review and it will ask about payments received.

If you did not get prompted to enter your stimulus information, that means you either:

1. Filed as a dependent being claimed on another tax return, or 
  2. have an AGI too high to claim the recovery rebate

To get to the stimulus questions in TurboTax at any time, you can search for stimulus and use the Jump to link.  Generally, if you have adjusted gross income up to $75,000 for individuals and up to $150,000 for married couples filing joint returns and surviving spouses, you will receive the full amount of the recovery rebate.  For filers with income above those amounts, the payment amount is reduced. 

Has anyone actually gotten the money after filing taxes and the recovery rebate credit worksheet? How long did it take? I didn’t get my first and second payment but got the third one with my tax refund after filing taxes this year 

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Yes.  The first and second Stimulus will be paid with the tax refund when you file your 2020 tax return.  Normally it takes up to 21 days after filing but that is in a normal year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kerriganc

I was only able to make it to step 2. There was no option for "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount". I was never asked about the stimulus either when I was filing. I did not receive the first and second stimulus checks either.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

If you have already filed, then an amended return may be needed to claim the stimulus checks. 

First, check what was filed. To do this in TurboTax Online, follow these steps:

• From the left menu, select Tax Home.
  • Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents and Show
  • Select 2020.
  • Navigate to the option to download the PDF of your return.
    • The forms are named in the top left and lower right hand corners of each page.
    • Navigate to Form 1040, page 2, Line 30 to check if there is any amount reported. 
    • Scroll through to find the worksheet in between the federal and state returns for the Recovery Rebate Credit calculations.

Otherwise, the easiest way to report the Recovery Rebate Credit is to follow these steps:

1. Go to the search box and enter stimulus.
  2. Click the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes.
  4. At the next screen, Let's double-check the amount you received, answer No to edit the first-round and second-round amounts.
  5. If no stimulus amount was received, enter 0. An amount must be entered in each box. When finished, click Continue.

For more information, see: 

2020 Recovery Rebate Credit — Topic G: Correcting issues after the 2020 tax return is filed | Intern....

@kerriganc

I need a work sheet to make sure I qualified for my first and second stimulus check please. 

@ElderCynthia  wrote:

I need a work sheet to make sure I qualified for my first and second stimulus check please. 

Look at the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet included in the PDF when you use Print Center.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2020 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  Choose the option Include government and TurboTax worksheets

I just got audited because Turbotax put an entry on my return for Recovery Rebate Credit. I didn't initiate this request and not sure what to do about it. IRS is now saying that I owe them $1400 more  in taxes.

takavulla53
Returning Member

Last yer I accidentally put $3600 in the recovery rebate credit.  My tax refund was delayed. This year  we did receive the $2800.00 recovery credit.  this year Line 30 is empty which means i did recipes the rebate.  Is that correct.

tim

RaifH
Expert Alumni

Yes, if line 30 is blank that means you already received all the recovery credit to which you were entitled.

@takavulla53

takavulla53
Returning Member

thank you so very much

Bosco78635
Returning Member

I made over $140,000 in 2020 and therefore received no stimulus payment from the IRS in 2021. In 2021 I made less than $26,000. According to turbo Tax I am eligible for a Recovery rebate Credit. Is that true?

@Bosco78635 wrote:

I made over $140,000 in 2020 and therefore received no stimulus payment from the IRS in 2021. In 2021 I made less than $26,000. According to turbo Tax I am eligible for a Recovery rebate Credit. Is that true?

Yes, that is correct.  The Recovery Rebate Credit on the 2021 tax return is based on the 2021 AGI so you are eligible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies