Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Zethria1

receipts for items

I have sold a lot of stuff online this year around 17 to 18K. Most of the items were out of my home and shop. I have had some of these things for a while and remember about what they cost, but some I don't and I didn't keep the receipts. How can I account for the equity I have in these items?  I am afraid it is going to look like I have made all that in profit and be hit with a huge tax bill. Can someone advise me wha to do? The folks that did my taxes for me last year don't seem up on the online selling and weren't much help. Can Turbo Tax help with this kind of stuff? I would rather pay what I owe quarterly and get someone to help me with deductions.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

receipts for items

If you sold personal property for less than you paid for them you will owe no tax on that income. Report the income as other income and then report other income again with an equal but negative amount with the text “personal items sold at a loss”.

receipts for items

@Zethria1 

if you are not issued a 1099-K, there is no reporting requirement if you sold personal items for less than their original purchase price. It is not reportable income.  It is a personal loss. 

But if a 1099-K is issued, then the 1099-k must be reported as income and then where the sales price was less than the purchase price can be subtracted on Schedule 1, line 24z as an adjustment to income. 

receipts for items

If audited, you have the obligation to prove the sales proceeds are not taxable.  There is a Tax Court case involving someone in your situation, who claimed she only sold used items for less than the original cost, but had no records.  She was audited, the auditor determined she owed full income tax, she took it to Tax Court, and lost again.  The Court ruled she had an obligation to keep some kind of business records to support the claim that these were items sold at a loss, and without those records, the IRS was not obligated to believe her story.  (The Court also noted that she should have known better than most since she herself was an IRS employee.)  She was assessed back taxes, interest, and an accuracy penalty.

You should have, at a minimum, a sales record that lists the items, with a reasonably specific description, the date acquired, how acquired (gift, purchased, inherited), the date sold, and the selling price.  If you don't have records, you can use estimates, but note them as estimates, and add any other notes or explanatory details that would help to show the IRS that your memory is reliable.  You might even be able to find historical prices for the same or similar objects in something like old Sears catalogs online.  The more thorough and complete your records are, the more likely an auditor would be willing to overlook any small gaps.  You might use a notebook, spreadsheet, or accounting program.  

The key is that the record should be contemporaneous -- that is, the record should be made close enough in time to the sales that your memory would be considered reliable.  Even if you can't prove the purchase date with a receipt, your recollection made at the time of sale will be more acceptable than a spreadsheet you make up the night before your audit 3 years from now.

Then, any sales for less than your cost are not deductible, and any sales for more than your cost are taxable income.

If you are not engaged in an "ongoing trade or business" with a profit motive, then this is hobby income.  You can't deduct expenses like listing fees, credit card fees, or shipping.  You owe tax on the total sales gains from items sold for more than cost.  If you get a 1099-K for more than that amount, there is a way in Turbotax to make an adjustment.  When the IRS sees that adjustment, they may send a letter asking for more details so they can verify your story.  Even though you have done $18K of gross sales, if that was really all below your original cost, then you don't have a profit motive, and this is hobby or "other miscellaneous" income. 

If you believe you are engaged in an ongoing trade or business for profit, you can report the activity on schedule C.  You still can't take a loss for items sold for less than cost (since these are still ultimately personal items and not business inventory) but you can deduct selling costs (shipping, etc.) from the sales proceeds of items that you did sell for a profit.   Your net profit will be subject to income tax and self-employment tax.  You can enter the 1099-K as part of your schedule C and then make an adjustment to account for the difference between gross sales proceeds and taxable proceeds (excluding the items sold at a loss).

Hal_Al
Level 15

receipts for items

TurboTax now  handles this situation very smoothly:

-You enter the 1099-K

-On the screen "Choose which type of income your 1099-K is for", check personal item sales. 

-You will get a screen to enter how much of the sales were "sold at a loss or had no gain".  Most people check the box "all items were sold at a loss or had no gain".

-TurboTax makes an entry (explanation) on line 8z of Schedule 1, showing $0 (or the calculated amount if some were sold at a profit) as the taxable amount.

Don't worry if you don't have receipts. This is a common enough situation that an IRS inquiry is unlikely. Consider taking photographs of the items sold, to show that they were used household items.  

receipts for items

@Hal_Al wrote:

Don't worry about receipts. This is a common enough situation that an IRS inquiry is unlikely. Consider taking photographs of the items sold, to show that they were used household items.  

I will note that I have seen at least one post this summer from a taxpayer who did just as you indicate, and got a letter from the IRS asking for a detailed explanation and proof.  It may not be common, but it does happen.  The taxpayer should always keep the best records they can, in my opinion. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies