turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I split the amount I owe to the IRS so I can pay with two separate credit cards

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnthonyC
Level 7
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

How can I split the amount I owe to the IRS so I can pay with two separate credit cards

You won't be able to split the payment between two credit cards using the TurboTax system during e-file.  But, you can when you pay directly to the IRS.  Select "Pay by check" when e-filing and a voucher for the full amount will be produced, which you can then ignore.  After you e-file, you can use the website below to make two separate payments with a credit card directly to the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/pay-taxes-by-credit-or-debit-card

View solution in original post

17 Replies
AnthonyC
Level 7
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

You won't be able to split the payment between two credit cards using the TurboTax system during e-file.  But, you can when you pay directly to the IRS.  Select "Pay by check" when e-filing and a voucher for the full amount will be produced, which you can then ignore.  After you e-file, you can use the website below to make two separate payments with a credit card directly to the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/pay-taxes-by-credit-or-debit-card

beeria1

Is the answer provided on June 4, 2019, still valid?

Thank you!

@beeria1 wrote:

Is the answer provided on June 4, 2019, still valid?

Thank you!

Yes, the answer is still valid.

What if I want to pay with multiple credit cards but still have a balance left over - can I send in the balance using a check ? Do I need to use the turbo tax printed voucher to do that ?

Yes.  You don't need a Turbo Tax pre-Printed voucher.  Just fill out a blank one for the check

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040v.pdf 

Thanks for your quick reply/. However, doesn't this go against the max of 2 payments allowed per year by the IRs. 

For instance, if I have a balance of 10,000 owed in taxes - and I put $4000 on 2 credit cards - am I still allowed to send in a check for the remaining $2000 ?

@VolvoGirl --would appreciate your reply. Thanks in advance. 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

You can only make two payments to the IRS on their direct pay site per day, not per year.  Making two payments using credit cards and then mailing a check for the remaining taxes is not a problem at all.  

@aztec

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
HuggyBear

Can you make more than 2 tax payments in a given week?

I want to use my credit card to pay half, then pay it off, then use it again the next day.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends. To clarify, what do you mean by paying half, paying it off, then use it again the next day?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
J Curtis
Returning Member

The user above asked about the limit of 2 payments per year. You stated that the limit is 2 payments per day. However the chart at

https://www.irs.gov/payments/frequ[product key removed]-by-type-of-tax-payment

States that the limit is 2 payments per year.

@aztec 

@AnnetteB6 

@J Curtis wrote:

The user above asked about the limit of 2 payments per year. You stated that the limit is 2 payments per day. However the chart at

https://www.irs.gov/payments/frequ[product key removed]-by-type-of-tax-payment 

States that the limit is 2 payments per year.

@aztec 

@AnnetteB6 

IRS Direct Pay website - https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

Amount and frequency limitations

IRS Direct Pay won't accept more than two payments within a 24-hour period, and each payment must be less than $10 million. For larger electronic payments, use EFTPS or same-day wire.

J Curtis
Returning Member

Check out the "Frequency Limit Table by Type of Tax Payment" at the IRS website. It seems when I post links they get edited so you can't click them......

All the different tax forms are listed on the page. They all state 2 per year limit. With certain exceptions for installments and other uncommon issues  not your standard yearly tax payment for the current year. Here is the one for 1040 the table is a little jacked up because again it's being edited when I click post:

Frequency Limit Table by Type of Tax Payment

You can only apply debit card, credit card or cash payments to certain forms, payment types and tax years. Use the table below to find out which kinds of payments you can make using these methods, and how often you can make them.

Please note that you can’t use card or cash payment methods to make Federal Tax Deposits.

For information about the tax forms in the table below, visit Download IRS Forms and Instructions.

Tax Form Payment Type and Tax Year Limit

Form 1040

Current Tax Due

2 per year

Current Tax Notice2 per year

Prior Tax Year

2 per year

Proposed Tax Assessment
CP 2000/2501/ CP 3219A

2 per year

Installment Agreement

2 per month

This is the IRS link you were referring to - https://www.irs.gov/payments/frequency-limit-table-by-type-of-tax-payment

The discussion branched out in this thread.  Only two payments can be made per year for taxes due on a Form 1040, etc. as noted in the table.

However, using the IRS payments website you can make 2 payments per day using Direct Pay regardless of where the payment is being applied.  So in theory you could make two payments using Direct Pay for taxes owed on a Form 1040 in one day.  But that would be the maximum number of payments as noted on the Table for a form 1040.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies