turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What if i didnt get a 1095A but got a 1095C?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

31 Replies
Heather14

You will mark the months that you had insurance and indicate that you do not have a 1095-A if asked.  Form 1095-C, Health Coverage, is a form that reports to the IRS the type of health coverage you had, dependents covered by your insurance, and how many months you had coverage for in 2016.

You don't need the form to file your tax return. TurboTax will ask you questions about your health coverage but your 1095-C isn't needed. Just keep the form in your files. If you've already filed and then receive the form, it's ok. You don't need to amend your return.

I really need some help I've paid for my taxes to be filed. The1095 A form keeps coming up, but I have the 1095 C I entered some numbers trying to get to the next screen but that didn't work. Please help me.

Hello.. I'm having the same problem accept I filed on 2/3/20 and when I used the WHERE'S MY REFUND tool it said still processing after 4 months. After waiting over 50 min on hold with the IRS they said I need that form. I got a 1095C because my insurance is private from my job. Why would they ask me for a form when it doesn't apply to me?

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Only the 1095-A needs to be entered on your return from insurance purchased through the marketplace. If you received a different 1095 form, such as one from employer benefits, you do not need to enter anything on your return. It is for your records only. Unfortunately, this is an issue with the IRS. You will need to let them know that you did not receive a 1095-A, and that your insurance was obtained through your employer.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That explains the IRS, which is of no help due to the pandemic.

but why does turbo tax keep asking me about the question (I haven't got to the IRS yet).?

sasha2012

I have the same problem.  I keep being asked for a 1095-A but I only have a 1095-C.  Is there anything I can do before actually submitting to help prevent any hiccups?

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Only the 1095-A needs to be entered on your return from insurance purchased through the marketplace. If you received a different 1095 form, such as one from employer benefits, you do not need to enter anything on your return. It is for your records only.

Follow these steps:

• Click on Deductions & Credits under Federal
  • Under the menu for Medical, click Start/Revisit next to Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A)
  • Answer No indicating that you do not have the form to enter

Or, try deleting the form:

1. Under Tax Tools, choose Tools
  2. Choose Delete a Form
  3. Scroll through your return until you find Form 1095-A, click Delete to the right of the form
  4. Confirm that you wish to delete the form

you are a life saver. thank you 

pi50

how to delete form 1095-a

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Go to your Federal interview section. 

1. Select Deductions & Credits 
  2. Scroll down to All Tax Breaks 
  3. Select Medical 
  4. Select Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A)

You should see a list of any policies here.  Select the delete to the right of the policy that no longer exists and needs to be deleted.

I was helping my daughter file her taxes, she is not a dependent, but I carry her on my Healthcare, We filled in her healthcare expenses, and it kept asking for her 1095A, she got a 1095C. I wound up taking all of her healthcare expenses out so it would work right. Is it worth amending so I can add her almost 5000 in medical expenses

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@rocknrobbin You are correct that if your daughter received a 1095-C, she does not have to enter anything about her Health Insurance in her tax return.

If she wants to claim her out-of-pocket Medical Expenses, click this link for more info on How to Claim Medical Expenses.

If she doesn't qualify to claim Itemized Deductions (most people don't), you don't need to Amend her return, since claiming her Medical Expenses would not benefit her.

If she doesn't have Mortgage Interest, Property Tax, Charitable Deductions, in addition to her Medical Expenses, the Standard Deduction is probably best for her. 

Click this link for an article on Itemized Deductions with a calculator that may help you. 

You can also open TurboTax to enter her Medical Expenses to see if it changes her refund.

If so, she can Amend

Same situation here. I just don't understand. I don't find where to enter the 1095-C information.

@Gregoriowalls wrote:

Same situation here. I just don't understand. I don't find where to enter the 1095-C information.

A Form 1095-C is not entered on a tax return.  You just keep a copy for your records.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies