Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I elect Mark to Market accounting under section 475 for the year 2019 after I have e-filed my 2018 Tax Return ? If Yes, whom should I send the election mail to ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Can I elect Mark to Market accounting under section 475 for the year 2019 after I have e-filed my 2018 Tax Return ? If Yes, whom should I send the election mail to ?

You have until April 15, 2019 to file a section 475(f) election for tax year. 

Please read this IRS document: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc429

You can send the election to the IRS at the address where you mail your return. Choose the without payment address.

For addresses, please see: https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

you're supposed to attach the election statement to your tax return, which means paper filing.
or to form 4868. by April 15th
if I were in your situation I'd file a paper 4868 and attach the election, even if you have already e-Filed.
Derek_H
Returning Member

Thank you for your very informative email.  Do you know whether TurboTax supports the MTM accounting method for trading after the MTM election is made?  I made the election for the 2018 tax year outside of TurboTax but would like to return to TurboTax this year.  Thank you for your help!

Use TurboTax Deluxe CD/download to report Professional Trader Status.

there's no special computations to be done for the accounting.

On Schedule C you can put accounting method other : Mark-to-Market.
I suspect this is optional since it won't change anything.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies