turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

RogerConfused
Returning Member

How do I import from Vanguard?

Vanguard has a simple 1099-B that can be downloaded....no Document ID on page1. First time, year 2022 for year 2021 tax filing, Vanguard has a Tax information Package with enclosed forms that have a Document ID on page 1as required to download into Turbo Tax. I file two brokerage accounts. One with a Document ID, one without. ?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

`Please follow the instructions herehereherehereherehereherehere to import the 1099 into Turbo Tax @RogerConfused

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I received a notice that my Vanguard 1009s are available, as indeed they are on the Vanguard website.  However, when I attempt to download the files into Turbotax, I receive a message that no tax forms are available.  i called Vanguard and they insist that it is a Turbotax problem.  Are they correct?

Paul Marshall

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

You may need to contact customer service directly for assistance. Please see the following information here for more details.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not working for me either. I get the same error of there not being any forms, although when I go to Vanguard, it has the forms to download. 

When I search TurboTax in their Support Center, it says: If you use third-party tax preparation software like TurboTax, you’ll now be able to upload the data from your form using a document ID. This replaces the need to enter your Vanguard username and password. 

So, how do I do that?

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this Help Article here for further assistance.  

I just checked with Vanguard and they the problem with exporting 1099's to Turbo tax lies with Turbotax, not Vanguard. When will you have this corrected?

g23riel

Great catch!  Seems like Vanguard is going out of their way again to make it difficult for users.  Plan to call them to get a Document ID number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Called into TurboTax support and they admitted that it's a TurboTax issue. They said to use the Brokerage option. Download your forms from Vanguard, enter in your account number and document ID and the documents imported fine. It's a workaround and it works, but isn't optimal. 

Vanguard's tax forms without the Account and Document ID are not able to be imported.  A Turbo Tax agent told me this is a known problem and the information must be manually entered.  Very disappointing.

lbg3093

This suggestion worked perfectly.  I like that I no longer need to give TurboTax my password.

budmarcy

When I do this I get a message that my log in to Vanguard is not valid?

I reset my log in name and password for Vanguard which allows me to access my account but I get the same message from TT again?

Last year I had no problems doing this however Vanguard has a new web site? I have contacted VG about this issue but no reply to date.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions here to import these into your return. 

If you are still having issues, please comment and let us know. Please include if you are using the online or desktop version. @budmarcy 

There are no instructions in that link.

I have the same problem mentioned. I enter the accnt. # and document ID, then is says "Vanguard Group - Brokerage Account: Invalid Signon"

It does not give me a chance to enter usderid and password.

Basically doesn't work.

Which is why I dumped Turbotax.   They were never able resolve this issue.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies