turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I manually enter the Beginning capital account section L on K-1 ?

This is the first year our LLC income has exceeded the $250,000 income level and I need to reconcile accounts.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you can edit the Beginning Capital Account balance for each member in Forms Mode.

Open your return and click the Forms icon in the TurboTax header.

1. In the left column, find "Sch K-1 Wks" and click on the form name to open it in the large window.
  2. Just beneath the partner information, you will see columns for Capital and Basis, starting with "Beginning of Year."
  3. Edit the numbers as needed.
  4. Scroll down within the worksheet and repeat steps 2-3 for each member.
  5. To return to working on your return, click Step-by-Step in the header.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I tried to do this but the program wouldn't let me type any numbers into the field. I checked the simple things like Num Lock, checking for updates and restarting the program.
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

What account are you trying to change? You should be able to revise any number in green or blue. If the number is black, right click to see the Data Source. You will need to go to that form/schedule/worksheet to change a number in black.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

no help here

I have tried this and it does not work. The K-1 shows a blank beginning capital amount. I did see that TTB indicated there was some problem with some accounts but this was over a week ago and it appears it has not been corrected. I need to issue K-1's and this is getting very frustrating. Any help or update on the fix would be appreciated or guidance as to how to go about getting a refund.

Same problem here.  Can't input any amounts in Sch K-1 worksheets for beginning of year capital for any partners.  However apparently I can input amts in the adjacent Basis column...  any ideas?

I was able to do a work-around by doing a dummy return for the prior year (TY2020).  Then when transferring the old data, the capital balances transferred as well.  🙂

I am having the same issue with TTB.  I cannot enter Beginning Capital Account amounts.  The area is blue but will not allow an entry.  This is the last thing I need to proceed with our taxes. 

Can someone please help get this fixed?

It has been well over 10 days since TTB informed me they were going to make a fix??

What I ended up doing is to go to the number to be inserted-right click-over ride- enter the number.

I hope this helps.

I also did an override and entered the beginning capital balances on the K-1 worksheet and it worked fine.  2 1/2 yrs since the original post on this issue and it's still not fixed, smh.

fhinman

Same problem.  This is driving me insane.  The field is blue but cannot be changed.  The step-by-step says I didn't enter the individual beginning capital but it won't let me.  The total capital number is right but the K-1s are wrong - showing negative capital for each partner at year end because they're (wrongly) starting from zero.

Meanwhile, I've:

been promised a callback from support but not gotten one;

waited for support and then connected to a tax expert but then disconnected midway - no callback;

waited for support AGAIN and asked to be reconnected to a tax expert but then gotten a recording instead telling me to PAY FOR AN UPGRADE;

put on hold AGAIN

This is a joke.  Turbotax sucks

fhinman

THIS WORKS!!  THANK YOU!

Try going to the K-1 worksheet in forms and enter each partners beginning capital balance on their worksheets.  Will have to use override (ctr D) to enter them.  This worked for me and the K-1s are now correct.

I talked to a few "experts" this morning and couldn't get any help.  I believe it is a bug.  This is my first year using Turbotax Business and I think it may be the reason.  We won't be able to file electronically if we do an override on this field.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies