turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ericrod63

write off

I just bought a condo in 2019, what can I claim? I used my 401k for partial deposit and used savings for the rest. What can I use toward my 2019 taxes? Can I use any of it as a write-off?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Bees
Level 7

write off

Ouch.  Your taxes are going to be higher because you took money out of your 401k and you may owe a penalty of 10% of that if you are under age 59 1/2. None of your downpayment is a tax deduction.

The only things you will be able to deduct on a personal residence are the real estate taxes and mortgage interest paid. You will be sent a 1099 for the mortgage interest and should have the real estate taxes that are paid from your county. Also check your closing documents to see if there are interest charges and taxes prorated and paid by you.

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.

write off

If you are not 59 1/2, you are going to pay the 10% early withdrawal penalty for taking money out of a 401k---buying a house is not an exception to the early withdrawal penalty like it would be for a traditional IRA.  And you will owe ordinary income tax for the additional income.  A very expensive way to make your down payment, unfortunately.    You will receive a 1099R in January which must be entered on your tax return.

The ONLY things you get to deduct for your home ownership are mortgage interest, property taxes, and loan origination fees.  And if you do not have a full year's worth of those, it is unlikely to affect your tax due or refund at all, if even a whole year's worth will someday.  Your lender will issue a 1098 for those in January.

With the new higher standard deduction and the $10,000 limit on the amount of property taxes and other state and local taxes you can use as itemized deductions, it is difficult for many people to even have enough itemized deductions to exceed their standard deduction.

2019 Standard Deduction Amounts

Single $12,200   (+ $1650 65 or older)

Married Filing Separate  $12,200   (+ $1300 if 65 or older)

Married Filing Jointly $24,400   (+ $1300 for each spouse 65 or older)

Head of Household $18,350  (+ $1650 for 65 or older)

(Also + $1650 if legally blind)

Home Ownership

There is not a first time home buyers credit on a Federal return. That ended in 2010. If your state has such as credit, you will be able to enter it when you prepare your state return.

Buying a home is not a guarantee of a big refund.  Your deductions for homeownership combined with your other deductions (if any) must exceed your standard deduction to change your tax due or refund. If you purchased your home late in the year, you do not even have a full year of home ownership deductions.

Your closing costs on your new home are not deductible except for prepaid interest, prepaid property tax or loan origination fees.  There are no deductions for appraisal, inspections, title searches, settlement fees. etc.

Your down payment is not deductible.

Your homeowners insurance for fire, hazard, flood, etc. is not deductible for your own home.

Home improvements, repairs, maintenance, etc. for your own home are not deductible. 

Homeowners Association  (HOA) fees for your own home are not deductible.

Go to Federal> Deductions and Credits> Your Home to enter mortgage interest, property taxes, and loan origination fees (“points”) that you paid in 2019.  You should have a 1098 from your mortgage lender that shows this information.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

write off

@ericrod63 

Is this you?  The question is very familiar.   You were answered several days ago.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/home-loans/discussion/i-just-bought-a-condo-in-2019/01/959488#M487

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies