turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: will turbotax be able to efile QBI Deduction Worksheet Schedule B in the near future

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
WKins2
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: will turbotax be able to efile QBI Deduction Worksheet Schedule B in the near future

QBI (Qualified Business Income) is the net amount of qualified items of income, gain, deduction and loss from any qualified trade or business, including income from partnerships, S corporations, sole proprietorships, and certain trusts.

Previously disallowed QBI is the amount of the deduction that was disallowed in prior years due to things like total taxable income limitations. 

Form 8995-A, the form used to calculate the Qualified Business Income Deduction, including the QBI that was disallowed in prior years and the current year which can be carried forward to future years, has not yet been approved for filing by the IRS. The expected date this will be approved by the IRS is 2/5/2020.

The state and federal governments approve the most common forms first and work their way down the list. Please see the links below for updates on form availability.  Once released, Turbo Tax will work quickly to get it working in the program. Form 8995-A is near the bottom of the federal list. 

Federal form availability

State form availability

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So based on the link provided you should be able to efile.  However, when you do the review you get a message that you can not efile (and before you ask I have updated the software as of 3-10-2020). As you proceed to the File a return tab it recommends that you efile!! I am guessing that you can efile (based on the recommended option and the forms availability list) but this is very poorly communicated, leaves little to be desired and needs to be fixed immediately!

I followed the link in your article to the Federal individual form availability.  Form 8995 and 8995 A are listed and show as available and available to efile.  My Turbotax is up todate, but the message when in review states

"It looks like you have a form or tax situation in your federal return that TurboTax doesn't support for e-filing...You have QBI Deduction Worksheet Schedule B-Aggregation of Business Operation, in this return."

I'm receiving contradictory messaging.  Which is it and if yes, I can e-file, how do I get pass this roadblock.

Thank you!

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

At this time TurboTax will not e-file a tax return with Form 8995-A Schedule B, the return is print and mail only.

No date has been given for when e-filing will be enabled for Form 8995-A Schedule B.

you are so behind and I'm glad you are not preparing my taxes, read the first post then check with turbo tax forms release independent of the first post. the problem is turbo tax has not updated the software entirely so you get an error stating you must file by mail  (does not comply with the forms released section) however as you continue it recommends you file electronically which complies with their own forms release! Further if you print the actual files the forms are included. this is an error that can and should be corrected NOW! Turbo tax is responding poorly to calls and help from messages suspect at best. I will be definitionally be looking at alternatives next year!!

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Form 8995-A Schedule B e-file will be enabled in the update scheduled on or about 4/1/2020.

@LarryLB

@R3a11y

@kantsae

Thank you David.  About a week ago, I spoke with Intuit & Turbo Tax customer service twice.  They were very nice, but couldn't find anything on when it would be available. So, I gave up and mailed it in.  Looks like I should have given it another week. 

Stay Safe everyone.

As of Apr.19, 2021, I still cannot efile due to QBI.  The software is up to date. 

This is very disappointing.  I have been using TT tax for years.  TT is incompetent in this area and they need to step up their game.  

I have researched other software company, and they are able to efile with QBI by uploading a signed copy.  See attached link:

https://support.taxslayerpro.com/hc/en-us/articles/[phone number removed]-QBID-Rental-Property-and-E...

Don't think I am going to use TT anymore if this issue is not resolved.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies