Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jmcmain

Will Turbo Tax 2019 work with Mac Sierra (10.12.6) ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

27 Replies

For 2019, Mac OS X 10.13 or later will be required.

Nope, and my mac won't take system 13, so I actually have to buy a new computer if I want to use turbotax. This computer is only six years old. I'm going to use the free IRS software instead. 

@heavenlydaze wrote:

Nope, and my mac won't take system 13, so I actually have to buy a new computer if I want to use turbotax. This computer is only six years old. I'm going to use the free IRS software instead. 

You can use the TurboTax online editions for 2019 with the computer and OS you are currently using.

Note - there is no such thing as Free IRS Software.  The Free File programs are from various vendors using online software.  TurboTax is part of the Free File program.

See this IRS website for the Free File program for tax year 2018 - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-free-file-opens-today-in-advance-of-tax-season

I have the same problem - TT won't run iMac and OS Sierra 10.12.6. OS 13.xx is not available for this machine.   Intuit appears unresponsive to your request for help on this forum and doesn't show a way to get personal help that I could find.  I've been using TT for as long as I can remember, pushing 20 years.  At minimum I want my money back.  I will request AARP to help if I don't get at least that - and would go so far as to write an article for the AARP magazine identifying this as a Scam, although I would prefer to get a version of TT that will actually run on my current computer.

How do we at least get our money back?  Asking customers to buy a new computer is a poor solution and will result in loss of customers - if I were running Intuit, I'm not sure I would do it that way or blow off such inquiries.

@jimmcmaster wrote:

I have the same problem - TT won't run iMac and OS Sierra 10.12.6. OS 13.xx is not available for this machine.   Intuit appears unresponsive to your request for help on this forum and doesn't show a way to get personal help that I could find.  I've been using TT for as long as I can remember, pushing 20 years.  At minimum I want my money back.  I will request AARP to help if I don't get at least that - and would go so far as to write an article for the AARP magazine identifying this as a Scam, although I would prefer to get a version of TT that will actually run on my current computer.

An answer provided by @macuser_22 

Systems such as Apple Mac must use the Apple software developers package in order to use the Apple (Mac) system functions and the developer software only supports the current and last two releases so it is not possible to develop new Mac software for any OS prior to OS X 10.13 since it cannot even be complied.  Thus for 2019 only OS x 10.13 or later will be supported by TurboTax because it is not supported by Apple.  

If you purchased the TurboTax software for your Mac from TurboTax then use this website to request a refund -  https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/forms/refund-request.jsp

You can use the TurboTax online editions if you are unable to use the TurboTax desktop software - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

For any type of billing issue you need to contact TurboTax support.

Support is open from 5am to 5pm Pacific time, Monday thru Friday

To contact TurboTax customer service/support use their contact website during business hours.  Use the key words billing issues.

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

After purchasing Deluxe + State from Amazon I found out that my Macbook Pro OS Sierra cannot run this years Turbotax.

I have run three years prior on this Macbook and have those records still saved on it.

Is there any way that I could get this changed for the Windows 7 version so that I can use it on my HP Elitebook?

Edit: Looks like Win 7 support will also be dropped early next year, so will just call on Monday to arrange for Online access to complete 2019's returns, and then look around for another service when 2020 is due.

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 2.01.54 PM.png

After some frustrating time with Microsoft I contacted Apple.  The very helpful service person (Asylyn) helped me upgrade to 10.13.6 and Turbo Tax 2019 works well with it.  Every other avenue I tired suggested that an upgrade past 10.12 was not possible.  Once again, Hooray for Apply and iMac.  Not sure what will happen next year if TT puts a barrier to use under 10.13.6, but the idea of using free software or just hiring out the effort will likely be my approach.

Why does Turbo Tax keep requiring new version of Mac O/S every year. I am wondering whether Intuit is getting kickback from Apple company.

My laptop has Mac O/S Siera 10.12.6. . Now TT 2019 says minimum requirement is Mac O/S high Sierra 13.

What is my option to use Turbo Tax 2019 preparation 

It seems Intuit is in cahoot with Apple to extract extra money from people like us

@ozatalar1935 wrote:

It seems Intuit is in cahoot with Apple to extract extra money from people like us

No.  That is an Apple decision!

An answer provided by @macuser_22 

Systems such as Apple Mac must use the Apple software developers package in order to use the Apple (Mac) system functions and the developer software only supports the current and last two releases so it is not possible to develop new Mac software for any OS prior to OS X 10.13 since it cannot even be complied.  Thus for 2019 only OS x 10.13 or later will be supported by TurboTax because it is not supported by Apple.  

EricJD49

So after something like 25 years of dedicated TurboTax usage I suddenly can no longer use this program because my computer got too old?!!  Yeah online, sure.

I guess that says something about the operator and something about computers becoming more reliable so  I don't have to upgrade every few years.  A new Mac is going to run me 1700 -2300 depending on how long I think it will before it becomes obsolete by software developers. . . again.

I have been using apple products since the mid 1980's.  Always believed they had a better product,  Still do.  But still not happy about having to replace the computer to run Tax Software.  But sometime next year, all the programs will start to suffer.  I guess it's time to go shopping / like I'm going to find a break on apple products somewhere.  More Coffee!! 

musiciscool
Returning Member

its essentially the same app as 2018's version, and IT still works on 10.12.6!  This is BS!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies