Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why was the Feedback Option Removed?

That is a rhetorical question. In past years you were able to provide feedback to TurboTax from basically anywhere within the program. I am very sorry to see that feature has been removed. I find no good methods for providing much needed feedback.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

I fully agree.  Not sure why the "public" option to provide feedback was removed.

I'm happy to share feedback with TurboTax Moderators if you'd care to post it here.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Thanks. There are numerous ways in my eyes that Turbotax could be improved. The two main areas I struggle with every single year are state returns and estimated taxes both Federal and State.
One way to start would be to restore the feedback function that allowed the user to send feedback while they were in the program. That function could be improved by facilitating screenshots and page references for developers.

I found it exceedingly difficult this year to be able to see the decision for standard versus itemized deductions. A readily visible weeksheet should be standard in both the federal and state returns, not least because my state (NY) allows a different decision to be made on the state vs the federal return. Also the instructions very much need to be improved. By trial and error, opening forms at random, I discovered that the information is on NY State form IT-196. Nowhere does the program tell you this.

In the past I have prepared returns for other states than NY (CA and CT). TurboTax continues to download and install these states. There appears to be no way to stop that from happening. I have tried asking in these forums without success.
Sometimes TurboTax asks for data it already has. This year it asked me, in the NY return, how much I had contributed over the years to the NY 529 plan. Rather than enter the number and display the contributions by year and then advise me to check it the program forces the user to crawl around, see where the data exists and then add it up by hand. Just stupid.

My most longstanding gripe is how TurboTax deals with estimated taxes. It nay be that the vast majority of taxpayers are not required to file them, but I expect the percentage is much higher for TT Premium users. TT needs a much more granular approach to the estimated taxes questionnaire and/or worksheet allowing the user to update the elements of income, in particular, by line item rather than present the user with a question on "all other income and losses you expect".

The NY state return also needs better questions re estimated taxes as today the user is forced to crawl around in the actual form / worksheet.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@Swegnson Thanks so much for your thorough post.  There is a designated area that I can share the suggestions of users.  I'll add yours to the area right now.  Thanks again!

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
arnoldgf

Email is a quick, easy way to provide feedback.

In suggestions on How to Print Worksheets, I counted 7-8 steps to get to the final solution to view or print all of the worksheets. This is what I have done for the past 5+ years to access the worksheets. Do you think this is a bit excessive for an $89 product in 2021? Why are there no workarounds? Why are there no explanations, when you are in the program, on how to access the worksheets?

In general, here is my feedback after using TurboTax to complete my 2021 Income Taxes. I was asked at least 4-5 times why my 1099-R 401K rollover to a traditional IRA was NOT taxable. One simple question asking if it was a 401K rollover would have saved 4 questions!

In other areas, I had to stop counting the number of times I was asked the same question over and over. WHY is this necessary? In addition, some questions are asked and the answers are already in other areas of TurboTax. In several cases, the answers were in the Help or ? sections.

The repetitive nature of these questions makes the use of TurboTax an arduous process to get income taxes done.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@arnoldgf Thanks for the feedback!  Your insightful suggestions, too, have been shared to the Moderators' feedback area.

Hi, Kat.  Please, add this suggestion to the feedback area.

Please consider showing the standard deduction (e.g., medical expenses) up front. I spent a couple days getting all my medical expenses together in the proper spreadsheets only to learn, after entering all the numbers into TurboTax, that the standard deduction was much greater than my expenses. It would have been clear to me from the outset that my expenses were not nearly as much as the standard deduction. I could have saved a couple days (and a lot of calculations), if I had known the standard deduction up front.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@frank_imhoff Got it!  Thank you!

One key thing to remember about medical expenses is that only the amount that EXCEEDS 7.5% of your AGI is deductible.  So you need significant qualified medical expenses before this deduction helps at all.

Geesou13

Yes! Feedback! I get upset that they readily advertise “free free free” and I imagine that’s only for teenagers filing an EZ. I get upset when I forget that the “upgrade” fee is accrued twice! One for fed and state each.  I don't get much back, like most of us, and to have $108+ tax at the end is nauseating. Anyone recommend another service?

Every year on TurboTax Premier when I do the portion on my taxes regarding Rental Properties, I am asked something like "Was this property Rented all year long?"  The question should be "Was this property a Rental all year long?" There is a big difference between the two questions because the IRS does not care so much whether I had a vacancy and the property was empty for a couple months, so much as to know whether the property spent part of the year as my primary home vs being a rental property all year long. If you could please have them fix that, I would appreciate it. Also, I used to be a TT beta tester and there was a feedback button on every screen. This would be nice because I have found a dozen other examples of where the TurboTax Premier interview question wording was off from what it needed to be asking. Thanks!

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@saychoss This thread is being shared with TurboTax Developers, so your input will be seen.  Thanks so much for sharing your ideas!

@Geesou13 Of course, you won't get advice here for another tax prep software.  And you are right about the Free Free Free thing.  Free Edition is suitable only for the simplest returns using only the standard deduction.  I agree that it's a "hook" to get you started in the program.  Any upgrade includes the fees associated with that upgrade.  You can always review your fees before filing, and often can reduce those fees.  Here's a TurboTax FAQ that explains how you may be able to do that.

What can I do to reduce my fees? 

I have lots of feedback as well.  Several Live agents disconnected and didnt call back. 

ALso, one wasnt at their phone but i could hear noises in background.

ALso, the times they say you have to wait are off. It said 5 min today and it has been about 40 minutes.  They should also know that that ping message only works if u are on the site, not in application, at least for me that is the case.  i have to use shift enter.  All depends on who answers as to how good the advice will be.

Hi Kat – I have a suggestion for the development team, too.  Would you mind posting it, please?

I would appreciate it.  Thank you.

Dear TurboTax Team,

I recently used TurboTax Premier 2021 (Desktop, CD version) to prepare Federal and Ohio income tax returns.  My wife and I filed the returns "Jointly."

I have a suggestion, or feedback, for the TurboTax development team regarding the Medical Expense section of the Ohio tax return.

My wife was not eligible for Medicare, at any time in 2021, and she purchased her Health Insurance through the ACA Marketplace.  According to the Ohio Tax Department, her cost of that insurance is reported on LINE 1 of the Ohio Unreimbursed Medical Care Expenses Worksheet.  Her health insurance cost is 100% deductible on our Ohio tax return.

I was eligible for Medicare, for all of 2021, and I purchased my Health Insurance (Part-B) from Medicare.  I also purchased a Medicare Supplement Plan and a Prescription Drug Plan.  According to the Ohio Tax Department, my cost of those insurance plans is reported on LINE 3 of the Ohio Unreimbursed Medical Care Expenses Worksheet. 

Our other unreimbursed, out-of-pocket, medical expense (misc. fees, co-pays, eyeglasses, etc.) is reported on LINE 4 of the Ohio Unreimbursed Medical Care Expenses Worksheet.

The total of my health insurance cost (Line 3) plus our other out-of-pocket medical expense (Line 4) is reported on LINE 5 of the Ohio Unreimbursed Medical Care Expenses Worksheet.

If the total (Line 5) of my health insurance cost and our other out-of-pocket medical expense is greater than 7.5% of our Federal AGI, the amount that exceeds 7.5% is deductible on our Ohio return.  If the total is less than or equal to 7.5%, it is not deductible.

The TurboTax "Step-by-Step" questions do not make those entries very easy.  To accurately report those expenses on the correct lines of the Ohio Unreimbursed Medical Care Expenses Worksheet (Lines 1, 3, and 4), I had to manually enter them in the "Forms" section of TurboTax.

TurboTax starts the Ohio Medical Expense "Step-by-Step" section with the question:  Employer-Paid or Medicare health Insurance?  We need to know if, in 2021, were you eligible to participate in any Employer-Paid or Medicare health insurance plan?  Indicate below how long you were eligible to participate in an Employer-Paid or Medicare health insurance plan, even if you did not participate.  The answer choices are:  The entire year, Part of the year, or None of the year.

The answer choices are fine for one person, or if my wife and I have the same Medicare eligibility status.  But, the answers do not accommodate both of our situations:  She was not eligible for Medicare, but I was.  Her insurance cost is 100% deductible.  My insurance cost, plus our other medical expense, is only deductible for the amount that exceeds the 7.5% AGI threshold.

For a filing status of Married Filing Jointly, the "Step-by-Step" Ohio Medical Expense question should be asked twice, once for her and once for me... OR, it should be more detailed and specific to accommodate both of our Medicare eligibility situations.

The TurboTax "Step-by-Step" Ohio Medical Expense section could be redesigned, or reformatted, to accomplish all of the following:

• Pull her ACA Marketplace Insurance premium cost from the Federal 1040, Form 1095-A, and enter that amount on Line 1 of the Ohio Medical Expense Worksheet.
  • Pull her Premium Tax Credit (PTC) reconciliation result (Repayment or Refund) from the Federal 1040, Form 8962, and also enter that amount on Line 1 of the Ohio Medical Expense Worksheet.
  • Enter my Medicare-related insurance premium costs on Line 3 of the Ohio Medical Expense Worksheet.
  • Enter our other unreimbursed, out-of-pocket, medical expenses on Line 4 of the Ohio Medical Expense Worksheet.

And, the "Step-by-Step" Ohio Medical Expense section should let us see all of those amounts, itemized in one window, so we can verify their accuracy.  For example:

ACA Marketplace Insurance Premiums (Paid):     $3,000   (Ohio Medical Expense Line 1)

Premium Tax Credit Repayment (Owed):             $300      (Ohio Medical Expense Line 1)

Premium Tax Credit Refund (Overpayment):       $0          (Ohio Medical Expense Line 1)

Medicare-Related Insurance Premiums (Paid):    $2,000   (Ohio Medical Expense Line 3)

Other Out-of-Pocket Medical Expense (Paid):      $2,000   (Ohio Medical Expense Line 4)

I've been using TurboTax for several years.  It is a great product!  But, I hope you consider my suggestion to make it even better. 

Thanks for listening.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Hi @TobyMeister ,

Thanks for your detailed suggestion!  This entire thread is posted where TurboTax Developers are to see it.  When, I can't say.  Just know that your post has been shared with TT software developers.

Feedback is a great thing. Should always have a clear path to voice your feedback , suggestions, issues. That way, the next season can be even better.  That is probably the most important thing and a way to get to know what your customers want.  Anyway, why is there not Live support for the downloadable version???  it works, you can share screen with shift-enter.  I dont understand why the download is not sold with LIVE. Please work on that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies