Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

WY6
Level 2

Why must Form 8615: Line 6 be entered?

@AkinaLO  I thought the people that responded to these questions worked for TurboTax.  I apologize for my ranting. Thanks for the information

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@thale828 wrote:

What if she hasn't done her tax return yet? Or wont do it? How can I do mine without her?

@thale828 

If your mother hasn't done her tax return yet, you have two choices.

The best approach is to wait until she has filed her tax return, or at least finished preparing it. You can file an extension if you will not be able to file by April 15. The extension gives you until October 15 to file, but if you will have a payment due on your tax return, you have to pay the tax by April 15, even though you don't have to file the return until October 15.

The other choice is to use "reasonable estimates" of your mother's tax return information, but then you have to file an amended return, Form 1040-X, with the final amounts after she has finished her tax return. And in TurboTax Online there is no way to indicate that you are using estimates. It can only be done in forms mode in the CD/Download TurboTax software.

The following is from the IRS instructions for Form 8615.

Incomplete Information for Filing

If the parent's taxable income, filing status, or net unearned income of the parent's other children isn't known by the due date of the child’s return, reasonable estimates can be used. Enter "Estimated" next to the appropriate line(s) of Form 8615. When the correct information is available, file Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

Instead of using estimates, the child can get an automatic 6-month extension of time to file. For details, see Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

CAUTION: An extension of time to file isn't an extension of time to pay.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Do you have a specific question we can assist you with?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
WY6
Level 2

@MichelleLO 

When are you going to fix the known bug in Form 8615 on Line 15 ? 

I am using TurboTax Deluxe on Windows - there is a calculation error on Line 15 , I was informed on this Community of a "work around", but my concern is for those users who are not aware of the work around

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@WY6 Can you please describe the error you are finding in detail and what is happening?

WY6
Level 2

@Cass0317   The basic problem is that  The Amount calculated on Line 15 on Form 8615 is incorrect.  There seems to be a bug - another person on this Forum said it is a known bug - I am wondering when this will be fixed. 

@Cass0317 , @MichelleLO  I am having the same issue with Line 15 of form 8615 as are other people I've seen in the community.  I haven't tried the workaround but want to be sure Turbo Tax is aware of the problem and if and when a fix will be in place.

Thank you.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@AB461  TurboTax is aware of the problem. They are working on it, but they have not given us a date when it will be fixed. However, the workaround will fix the problem in your tax return, so you don't have to wait for TurboTax to fix the software.

When doing a child tax return for 2020, TT asks for line 11b from the parent tax return.  This appears to be a reference to the 2019 1040.  Isn't Line 15 on the parent 2020 1040 the correct figure to use? 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@Tom768  You are correct. It should be line 15 on the parent's 2020 tax return. The text on the TurboTax screen was not updated. We have advised TurboTax of the error.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies