turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is it telling me to check my Form 1099-NEC Worksheet? I imported it directly from Uber.

I drove for Uber this year. They sent me a 1099-NEC. I had Turbo Tax import it directly from Uber. After entering all my other info it says I need to check the entry. It says to make sure I complete all the info in this area. Specifically it seems to be wanting "Schedule C." I'm not sure what to do as there is no such box on my 1099-NEC or in the Income
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Why is it telling me to check my Form 1099-NEC Worksheet? I imported it directly from Uber.

If your return does not include a Schedule C, then that is the problem that TurboTax is trying to get you to fix.  

Income reported on Form 1099-NEC is not reportable directly on your tax return.  Just entering the information on that form is only the first step.  Since it is self-employment or 'non-employee compensation' it must be associated with a Schedule C, even if there are no expenses being claimed. 

The information required for the Schedule C will include the type of business, the business name (or your name if there is no specific business name), the business address (or your address), etc.

That being said, there is a known issue when using TurboTax Online that is related to the program asking you to double-click to link to Schedule C.  Take a look at the TurboTax article below and use the link in the article to enter your email address to be notified once this is resolved.  

Why can't I link my 1099-NEC in TurboTax Online?

Alternatively, take a look at the additional information below for a possible series of steps to solve the issue.  

Since income reported on Form 1099-NEC needs to be reported on Schedule C, the program is trying to tie these two forms together to be sure that it is reported correctly and on the right form.

Try going back to the section where you entered the Form 1099-NEC if you entered it on its own and delete that entry.  Use these steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “1099-NEC” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to 1099-NEC
  • Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-NEC” link

This will bring you to the summary of all Form 1099-NEC that you have entered.  Click Delete or the trash can icon next to each one.

Next, you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC as part of the Schedule C so that the income is reported directly as part of your Business Income and Expenses and within the correct form and section of your return.

Use these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return.  

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “schedule c” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to schedule c
  • Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link

If you already have a Schedule C in your return, edit it and go to the section to Add Income.  This is where you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC. 

If you do not already have a Schedule C in your return, follow the prompts and enter the information about your work/business for which you received the Form 1099-NEC.  Then continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC plus any other income you received for that self-employed business.  

Don't forget you can also claim expenses related to your business.

After you are finished, the error condition should be eliminated. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LELZO
Returning Member

I used the link to get to the article, but it says issue resolved.  It isn't resolved for me.  How do I ask to be notified when the glitch is fixed? 

The "standard" is stating no more than 500 transactions. But I am finding it hard to believe that you are exceeding this on 18 pages. Please correct me if I am wrong as that might be the reason for the problem you are encountering.

Having said that, I've listed a few potential solutions I found and put together just now. I am not seeing that anyone has yet to post this in this thread, so I will start here: 

(A) Please see the following instructions to import your Fidelity accounts into TurboTax:

1. Type import in the search bar and click search.
  2. Click on Jump to import. 
  3. Click start/edit/add on 1099-INT or 1099-DIV or Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other.
  4. Continue with the onscreen interview and identify your financial institution. 
  5. Type in the Online ID and Passcode.
  6. Continue with the online interview to import your financial data.

Tip: When selecting your financial institution or brokerage from the list, be sure to select the right one. For example, several participating partners' names start with First National Bank and if you select the "wrong" First National Bank, you won't be able to import. Related information: How do I import my 1099? Which 1099 forms can be imported?

(B) E*Trade Securities Download/Upload Instructions

You can call this resolved all you want, but it isn't. No matter how many times I delete my 1099-NEC and refile, I am caught in an endless loop of reviews that lead nowhere. I tried to call TurboTax, and they put me on hold like I was going to talk to a person until a robot asked me what I needed help with and sent me an email linked to this useless page. As others have said: great job lobbying to keep tax-filing as difficult as possible and your absurd business viable. Before I filed taxes in America, the federal government literally did it for you. This is unacceptable. 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

The message you are seeing in TurboTax may be trying to tell you that there is not a problem with the Form 1099-NEC itself, but it needs to be tied to specific Schedule C business (or Schedule F farm).

Form 1099-NEC is used to report self-employment or independent contractor income when you are being paid by a company not treating you as their employee.  

Income from being self-employed or an independent contractor should be reported on Schedule C Business Income and Expenses. 

So, to enter a Form 1099-NEC, you first need to create a Schedule C for your business and then enter the Form 1099-NEC within that same section of your return.  

Use these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return and get started.  

• This opens a box where you can type in “schedule c” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to schedule c
  • Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link

Once you have started the Schedule C, continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC plus any other income you received for that self-employed business.  

Don't forget you can also claim expenses related to your business.

For more details and information, take a look at the following TurboTax article:  What is Form 1099-NEC?

@lizzynichols0

When I click on the Search button, a new window is opened on my internet that says: We're here to help you with your IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax
Call us at: [phone number removed]
FAQs
Back to IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax

Alternately, if I got to Tax Tools--Topic Search--schedule c, I can answer a lot of new questions about my self-employed work, but, when I go to file, it still says there's an error in my 1099-NEC and takes me back to the exact same form where the only editable line is Schedule C, and there are no changes I can make that will allow me to file my taxes. 

So deleting and adding the 10099-NEC multiple times is exactly what caused my issue! I think you most likely are having the same issue that I had. The program is saving the forms each time you add and delete them. You have to go down on the menu bar on the left of the screen and find where it says "My forms" or something along those lines. It will show you all the forms Turbo Tax has filled out for you. And most likely there will be a TON of 1099-NEC's, one from each time you have deleted and readded it. All those different versions are what's causing the issue with filing your taxes. Just remove them from that page, add it one last time, and you should be good to go. 

Note: it took me talking to a tubrotax employee to figure this out. I hope it helps!

Thank you for sharing your experience talking with someone! Perhaps I will try to call again today. Are you referring to the section under Tax Tools called "delete a form"? That is the only place I see where it lists all the forms, and I do not have any extra 1099s. 

That sounds right. It's been a few weeks since I did it. If that's not the issue for you, I am not sure what else to suggest other than talking with someone from TurboTax. I'm sorry I couldn't help. 

DaniViz

I was having this issue just now and it was driving me bonkers!!! Which is how I found this thread. I figured it out based on my NEC’s because it did the same prompt for my address missing. I saw that on the schedule C line it had ‘rideshare’. So basically that’s all you have to do is type ‘rideshare’ in that section. 

SDT3
Level 1

When I get to Step 5 for importing from brokerage account into Turbo Tax, "Type in the Online ID and Passcode" is this to be the ID & PW for my brokerage account?

Cynthiad66
Employee Tax Expert

Yes.  In most cases, this is entry into your account so that you can upload your documents into TurboTax.

The links below provide more details about importing Form 1099.

How to Import 1099s into TurboTax

What If I can't Import My 1099s

@SDT3 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies