turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does TurboTAx require that the Mac OS X be such a high version? I will have to buy a new computer to run it since I can't get past 10.13.6 next year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

Why does TurboTAx require that the Mac OS X be such a high version? I will have to buy a new computer to run it since I can't get past 10.13.6 next year.

You are looking in the wrong direction ... it is MAC that forces the upgrades to sell more computers.  They are the ones requiring it not TT.    If you cannot upgrade you will be able to use the ONLINE version instead.  

This reply doesn't make any sense.  Microsoft Office has run on several versions of Mac OSX with no problem.  I can run TT2019 this year, so it seems the TT software should be capable of running next year as well.  The programmers must be doing something that requires the higher OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree.  this is really TT doing.  the same issue arises with Win 7 for TT 2020 returns.  TT says it will not allow installation for the 2020 software on computers runiing Win 7.    Win 7 will still be ok for online prep. 

TT does not want its software running on an OS that may have unpatched flaws.  So desktop users with win 7 face the same problem you do.    it is also true that updates needed for certain software to run can be incompatible  with the current OS.   Put another way, MS and Apple don't want to spend the time and money necessary to produce the updates to keep your system safe from flaws in their OS and other software.

for me, I was able to create adual boot system, so I'll be able to keep Win & and use win 10 solely for TT.      

marianpo

For the life of me I cannot find the online version of Turbo Tax. At the Intuit site, I get directed to the software and cannot get out. Please help me access the online version.

@marianpo wrote:

For the life of me I cannot find the online version of Turbo Tax. At the Intuit site, I get directed to the software and cannot get out. Please help me access the online version.

Here's the online product selection page:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

Scroll down a bit to see the product listings.

Anonymous
Not applicable

if TT holds to its plans people with a PC OS other than Windows 10 will have to buy a new computer too unless they can upgrade their present OS.  upgrading the OS will likely result in the deletion of all other apps.  

mateo1961
Returning Member

That is not correct. Intuit can build Turbo Tax that is compatible to older versions but the choose not to. I subscribe to the TT advantage but locked into the MAC Version. I do not have the option to pick a Windows Version that does not require an updated OS every two years.

First you are not locked in just because you are on the advantage program ... you can switch now for the next tax program next November and  contact TT support to have the 2023 WIN version put in your download account now.   Or you can return the program you cannot use and use the ONLINE version instead.

To update your TurboTax Advantage account, see this TurboTax support FAQ - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900547-how-do-i-update-or-confirm-the-information-in-my-turbotax-...

If you want to cancel the Advantage subscription see the procedure in this TurboTax support FAQ - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-cancel-my-turbotax-advantage-subscriptio...

If you missed the cancelation deadline for this year's TurboTax product, simply wait until you receive your CD or download, then submit an online refund request within 60 days of receiving your product.

mateo1961
Returning Member

Older versions of MAC OS is still supported with security and critical updates.

At the time of this writing, macOS Ventura, macOS Monterey and macOS Big Sur are still receiving support. Support for macOS Catalina and older came to an end in September 2022. Remember that when it comes to security updates, older versions may receive occasional software updates if they are critical.Sep 6, 2023

Windows 7 has been out of support for 3 years. On January 14, 2020, Windows 7 support ended with Microsoft no longer providing security updates or fixes after that date, except for subscribers of the Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU), who were able to receive Windows 7 security updates through January 10, 2023.

Windows 10 will run on hardware that ran Windows 7.
mateo1961
Returning Member

I still say I am locked Because I have to request a refund for the Mac version. When I started with TT I was allowed to choose which version and up front they gave release notes.

Yes ... but the WIN 10 folks are in for a shock when support for 10 is phased out later this year and they find their OS will not upgrade to 11 ... both companies have a planned obsolescence method to sell more computers ... they are both equally guilty in that regard.  Progress will not be stopped no matter how much we cry out.  

There are free programs available  if your AGI is $79K or less  and  the IRS is actually putting out their own free option this year (limited to start with).  

Free File : 

https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

Direct File : 

https://www.irs.gov/about-irs/strategic-plan/direct-file

Advantage members get both OS automatically ... if you don't see it in your account then simply contact TT support to have the other OS download put in your account. 

@Critter-3   Don't tell me that!  I had to switch to a Windows 10 laptop just last year from my Desktop Win 8.1.  Although my laptop keeps telling me I can upgrade to 11.  Are there some Win 10 that can't upgrade?  

@VolvoGirl  wrote:

Don't tell me that!  I had to switch to a Windows 10 laptop just last year from my Desktop Win 8.1.  Although my laptop keeps telling me I can upgrade to 11.  Are there some Win 10 that can't upgrade?  

From what I've read, Windows 10 will have full support from Microsoft until October 14, 2025.  After that it will no longer receive free security updates, but for the first time Microsoft is going to allow individual users of Windows 10 to purchase a subscription to continue getting the security updates for up to 3 additional years.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/microsoft-extends-security-updates-for-windows-10-beyond-2025-for-a-price

As for whether you can upgrade from Win 10 to Win 11 or not, it most likely depends on the age of the machine running Windows 10, and whether it meets the Windows 11 system hardware requirements.  Newer units may have the necessary hardware and processing features that will run Windows 11, while older PC's may not.  Specifically, it depends on whether the machine has a security chip module called TPM 2.0 (Trusted Platform Module) which was required in all Windows computers after mid-2016.   If you purchased your new laptop after mid-2016, it likely has TPM 2.0.

See this article for more info:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/what-is-a-tpm-and-why-do-i-need-one-for-windows-11

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies