turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does my turbotax say self employed and how do I change it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
ShawnaD

It may be that data transferred from your 2015 return (if you used TurboTax last year and transferred that data over to your 2016 return) that contained self-employed information, or you may have entered Form 1099-MISC which requires TurboTax Self-Employed. 

If you feel that you do not need the higher version of TurboTax, you can clear your return and start over to downgrade (as long as you haven't paid for or registered your account), instructions here:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4248526

What happens if I already submit payment and I am not self-employed? Do I have to file my taxes all over again?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

If you were not self-employed and did not enter income or expenses relating to a business, then no Schedule C was added to your return. 

The Self-employed and Home & Business version of TurboTax will also prepare returns that do not have self-employment. Besides, the IRS doesn't know which version of TurboTax created your tax return.

So check your copy of your return (you kept a copy, right?). If there is no Schedule C on the return, then you are OK and don't need to do your taxes over again.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Do you have a question @baileyrun

As long as you haven't submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund, or registered, you can erase your return and start from scratch in TurboTax Online.

1. Sign in and select a topic to continue your return.
  2. On the next screen, from the left-side menu, select Tax Tools, and then Clear & Start Over (select the menu icon in the upper-left corner if you don't see this menu).
  3. Answer Yes in the pop-up to confirm.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Turbo Tax automatically used the self-employed version of the system since I filed a 1099-Misc in 2018. It asked me if I had a 1099-Misc to report for 2019  and I selected No. I did not realize that I was using a more expansive self-employed version until the fees were processed on my credit card. Am I able to get a refund for the the difference between the self-employed version ($130) and the Deluxe version ($50) that I would have selected if given the choice? Please let me know how best to correct this billing issue. Thank you! 

I already paid to file, but Turbo tax says that it has to wait for the IRS to issue two forms before it can file my return.  I think the forms might be related to self-employment, which I did not have any of this year.  I can't bring up a copy of my return because it hasn't been filed yet.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The name of the most comprehensive program we have is called Self Employed. You do not have to be self employed to use the software. It just has the forms you must need. The IRS does not open until February 12. They work on forms from most common to least common. See Federal form availability for expected release dates. Once released, we work to incorporate them quickly.

If your return is paid for and not filed, you can view your return. 

@colbuckley

Somehow listed as self-employed and I could not change it do I get less money back on my return

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Did you receive a Form 1099-NEC or Form 1099-K @Diane68?

TurboTax will list you as self-employed if you receive non-employee income where no tax was taken out. 

This could give you less money back on your return because you have to pay self-employment tax, since no tax was withheld from your pay.

You can claim business deductions. Adding business deductions will lower your self-employment income so you will pay less tax.

The ultimate guide to tax deductions for the self-employed

Diane, I struggle for a couple hours with this last night.  If you entered a 1099-Misc it seems it automatically assumes you need to declare that income as Self-employment, where it may not have been at all related to work.  I had received a 1099 two years in a row and clicked the appropriate boxes, and way then sent to schedule C.  Even though I deleted the Sch. C (multiple times) and spent 2-3 hours on the phone with Turbo-tax help, I could not actually e-file my return without entering that 1099 on a schedule C.  Finally, I tried without clicking the prior year receipt and was then given a dialog box that asked if this income was work related.  I said no, and then the return completed as expected, with the 1099 showing on the "other Income" line.  I was forced into the more expensive "self-employed" version of TTx which I didn't need, but didn't want to start all over, apparently the only way to downgrade.  

You might have filed as self-employed last year, and TT assumes you still need it.  I think there is a way to change at the very beginning, but I don't know how...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies