Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Diane, I struggle for a couple hours with this last night.  If you entered a 1099-Misc it seems it automatically assumes you need to declare that income as Self-employment, where it may not have been at all related to work.  I had received a 1099 two years in a row and clicked the appropriate boxes, and way then sent to schedule C.  Even though I deleted the Sch. C (multiple times) and spent 2-3 hours on the phone with Turbo-tax help, I could not actually e-file my return without entering that 1099 on a schedule C.  Finally, I tried without clicking the prior year receipt and was then given a dialog box that asked if this income was work related.  I said no, and then the return completed as expected, with the 1099 showing on the "other Income" line.  I was forced into the more expensive "self-employed" version of TTx which I didn't need, but didn't want to start all over, apparently the only way to downgrade.  

You might have filed as self-employed last year, and TT assumes you still need it.  I think there is a way to change at the very beginning, but I don't know how...