Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why do I owe the state after my amendment

So I had already filed my taxes and received a little over $400 from my state tax return. My employer had messed up my tax return by putting a county I don’t live or work in on my payroll for the whole year I’ve been working there. So therefore I had $517 of taxes that was pulled from my check . My company told me to amend the W2 where it was $0 for each bracket in that county & they would apply the money I was owed in my April 8th payroll. So after I amended my w2 it now says I owe the state $516 dollars. Why is that ? Isn’t that my money they mistakenly took? I never received any of that money in the first state refund? Why do I owe it now? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

If you did not live or work in that county, you would not have a tax liability. Your county taxes must be a part of your state tax. There is a question somewhere that needs a different answer.

I am confused though. You said the employer was going to add the money to your paycheck in April. If you are getting a refund from your employer, you do not need to file an amended return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That’s what I didn’t get either. They sent a letter saying I needed to amend my w2 with this new one they sent & highlighted everything I needed to amend. Doesn’t make sense to me. If I already amended it can I re amend it to how it used to be so I won’t owe the state ? Since my employer is still sending me the money? 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@Leximae940 In your Amended Return, did you delete both the State Taxes Paid and the County Taxes paid on your new W-2 entry?

If you deleted the State Tax paid, that's why you owe the State.  You only needed to delete the County Tax paid, since that's the tax you didn't need to pay (put $0 for Income and $0 for Tax in the County area of the W-2). 

If you haven't filed your Amended Return yet, go back and change your W-2 entry.  You don't want to send an Amended Return until you receive your Refund from your original return.

Click this link for more info on How to Amend Your Return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies