turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why can't TT fix my for SE-T that is incorrectly showing farm income when I do not have a farm, not did I claim farm income last year? I spent forever on the phone=nada.

I did my federal review and it was prompting me to add the dollar amount of my net income from March 27-Dec. 31st to line 18 (not sure why as this is the deferral section and I am not deferring se tax). This is a separate issue.

Anyway, looking at the form I also noticed it is reflecting the farm income option instead of the non-farm income option. I called Turbotax and was on the phone for 34 minutes. We went over the section about farm income to make sure it was not selected. We deleted the form SE-T. It did not fix the issue. She then got her supervisor involved
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Why can't TT fix my for SE-T that is incorrectly showing farm income when I do not have a farm, not did I claim farm income last year? I spent forever on the phone=nada.

It cut off the rest of what I wrote...

The supervisor was not able to delete the form. I was told it must be that I filed farm last year (in error). I was given options to resolve, one of which was paying $45 to talk to a tax professional. Another was starting over (yikes!) I told her I would first look at my tax return from last year. I looked at my 2019 tax year's SE and it correctly had my income listed as non-farm income......

So, where do I go from here? 

I ended up STARTING OVER after literally trying everything I could think of to fix the problem, including following a solution someone had posted on another thread. 

SO, guess what? After staying up to 3AM my time entering everything in again, it is still reflecting the error! I did not do anything in that section! That leads me to believe this is a TT glitch. I went over my tax forms from prior year 2019 AGAIN and I had non-farm income and NO farm income accidentally reported (Also, no Sch F, which I would have if I had accidentally posted farm income).  I guess if I want to file my taxes I'm going to have to go outside of Turbotax!  I seriously hope this is not a widespread error because if it is it will mess up a lot of people who might not catch it on the SE-T form. 

I had the same problem with my 2021 business tax return (1120S). TT would not advance the dialog unless I added a dummy Schedule F. When it came time to actually file the return, I had to print it, toss the Schedule F, and mail it in.   

This year (2022), it appears that the problem is still not resolved.  By they way, I've been doing my business return with TT for 20+ years and last year is the first time I've seen this TT issue about Farm Income.

Anyone got an update on this issue?

Exactly when is the Form Sch F showing up when you prepare the 1120S?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your reply AbrahamT.   

This year when I began my 2022 return, which included transferring data from last year's return,  the initial set of forms created by TT included a Schedule T.   

So that I could answer your question, I created a new, test version of 1120S, for which I also transferred my 2021 1120S data.  Sure enough, at the point where the 2022 return was initialized and before I began entering 2022 data, I switched to Forms and I saw that the Schedule T had been created, appearing in the list with an exclamation point next to it.  I deleted the form right away and proceeded to enter all the 2022 data, getting to the point of electronic filing.  Interestingly, TT never asked me about Farm income and never created a new Schedule T. 

Again, in my first run through for the 2022 1120S, TT created, and then required me to keep the schedule T, even if I deleted it after the dialog began asking me about farm income.

On today's test run, TT created the initial 1120S with a Schedule T, but since I deleted it prior to proceeding with income/deductions/etc., TT never asked me about Farm related things again.  

If you, Abraham, or anyone else can find what triggers TT to lock in the requirement for Farm info, it would be interesting to hear back from you.

If we don't get an answer, it looks like I can at least can delete my first instance of 1120S, keep the second, and consider the matter closed.  Thanks again.  Walt

Seems like you have resolved your question but it's a very good point to bring up to our technical department to figure out why the program keeps bringing up farm income when there was never any mention of it in the first place. I will bring up the whole scenario to them including your resolution to it.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Dealing with this now! Been on the phone with help for over two hours. Still can’t figure it out. IRS froze my return for review because of this. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies