turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

thaspel2

Why can I not get the 3rd step done, as I still have not gotten any emails from the IRS about the forms they still need to finalize, what can I do to get that done?

How long will I have to wait until this confirmation be done?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Why can I not get the 3rd step done, as I still have not gotten any emails from the IRS about the forms they still need to finalize, what can I do to get that done?

You cannot file your tax return until the IRS finalizes the forms and schedules included in your federal tax return.

Click on Review and you will see the list with dates of availability.

thaspel2

I am really confused about what has to happen next before I can get my taxes filed. How long do I need to wait until the IRS will confirm those missing forms? 
I also don't know how to attach my 1098-T form from 2019 and the new one from 2020 will be released by the school by end of January 2021. 
Will you inform me about the progress when everything is approved or will I get an email from the IRS?

Thanks for helping me out with this 

Regards, 

Th. Haspel

@thaspel2 wrote:

I am really confused about what has to happen next before I can get my taxes filed. How long do I need to wait until the IRS will confirm those missing forms? 
I also don't know how to attach my 1098-T form from 2019 and the new one from 2020 will be released by the school by end of January 2021. 
Will you inform me about the progress when everything is approved or will I get an email from the IRS?

Regards, 

Th. Haspel

@thaspel2 wrote:

Regards, 

Th. Haspel

A 2019 Form 1098-T cannot be entered on a 2020 tax return.  Only the 2020 Form 1098-T can be entered on a 2020 tax return.

See this website for IRS forms availability - https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_windows_individual.htm...

The IRS will not be accepting any type of 2020 tax return until January 27, 2021 so there is no rush to file a federal tax return.

To enter, edit or delete Education Expenses -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Education
  • On Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T), click on the start or update button

Or enter education expenses in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to education expenses

So even when the IRS finalizes the Forms you need and even if Turbo Tax lets you submit your return they will just hold all the returns until the IRS opens filing on Jan 27, 2021 or later.  So there is no hurry.  And a lot of people who file early find out they have to amend later like when they get their actual W2 and 1099 forms.  Or they get more forms than they were expecting.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies