Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where enter basis in Cash Surrender Value

Where in Turbo Tax do I enter my basis (premiums paid) in the Cash Surrender Value of a Life Insurance Policy I cashed out?   I received a form 1099-R and Box 2a Taxable amount was 0 and box 2b Taxable amount not determined was checked.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

If you know what you paid in premiums, deduct that total from the amount you received as "cash-out" (Box 1) and put the resulting figure in Box 2a.

This post addresses the same issue you are facing and makes a couple of suggestions - 1099R for cash out of life insurance

In my opinion, @DavidD66 's suggestion is the best approach. It results in an accurate tax calculation, which is what the IRS is most interested in achieving..

His commentary was: "your insurance company should have determined the taxable amount and included it in Box 2a.  The only way I can figure out how to report the 1099-R, and get the correct taxable amount to flow to your Form 1040 is  for to calculate it and enter it in box 2a of your 1099-R entry.  This will result in the correct taxable amount flowing to your Form 1040, line 4b."

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

What was the distribution code in Box 7?

Box 7 has a "7" in it.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Is the amount in Box 1 the same that you got paid by the insurance company?

Yes, the amount in box 1 is the amount I was paid

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

If you know what you paid in premiums, deduct that total from the amount you received as "cash-out" (Box 1) and put the resulting figure in Box 2a.

This post addresses the same issue you are facing and makes a couple of suggestions - 1099R for cash out of life insurance

In my opinion, @DavidD66 's suggestion is the best approach. It results in an accurate tax calculation, which is what the IRS is most interested in achieving..

His commentary was: "your insurance company should have determined the taxable amount and included it in Box 2a.  The only way I can figure out how to report the 1099-R, and get the correct taxable amount to flow to your Form 1040 is  for to calculate it and enter it in box 2a of your 1099-R entry.  This will result in the correct taxable amount flowing to your Form 1040, line 4b."

Thank you.  I was stuck and frustrated, so I appreciate your help very much.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies