turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I find the Form 1099-MISC in Turbo Tax so I can enter the income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Which Box on your 1099-MISC has a figure?

The "3" box Other Income shows a $8,130.

All other boxes are Zero ($0)

If it is not income subject to self-employment tax, enter it as miscellaneous income.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Here's how to enter a 1099-MISC with income in box 3 in TurboTax so that it is reported as "other income" instead of as business income. It will be reported on Schedule 1 line 8z with the description "Other Income from box 3 of 1099-Misc."

• In the Search box type "1099-misc" (without the quotes), then click the link that says "Jump to 1099-misc."
  • The first screen asks "Did you get a 1099-MISC?" Click Yes.
  • On the next screen enter the information from the 1099-MISC form, then click Continue.

TurboTax will now ask a series of questions about the 1099-MISC income. Answer as follows, even if some of the answers aren't true.

• "Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC." - It doesn't matter what you enter. Enter a short description such as "Payment." Click Continue. You will see this description used in some of the subsequent questions, but it will not appear on your tax return.
  • "Does one of these uncommon situations apply?" - Select the last choice, "None of these apply," and click Continue.
  • "Did the Payment involve work that's like your main job?" - Select No and click Continue.
  • "How often did you get income for Payment?" - "I got it in 2021" will already be checked. Don't check any of the other boxes. Just click Continue.
  • "Did the Payment involve an intent to earn money?" - Select No and click Continue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies