turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where can I put in my six digit passcode that the irs gave me. Site only lets you put in 5

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CarolynLO

Where can I put in my six digit passcode that the irs gave me. Site only lets you put in 5

These are two different pins.  One is an IP PIN. The IP PIN is a six digit number.  Your e-file PIN is 5 digits in length.  To obtain your 5 digit pin and enter it:

1. Click on the Federal Taxes tab.

2. Click on Other Tax Situations.

3. Scroll down to the section "Other Return Info".

4. Click Start, Update, or Revisit button for Identity Protection Pin.

View solution in original post

28 Replies
Carl
Level 15

the 5-digit number is your e-filing PIN. the 6-digit number issued by the IRS (not by TurboTax) is your Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN). The 5-digit number remains the same year to year. The 6-digit number changes every year, and the IRS will mail you the new 6-digit number each year.
to enter it, enter IP PIN in the search box and enter. Then click the "jump to" link when it appears.
CarolynLO

These are two different pins.  One is an IP PIN. The IP PIN is a six digit number.  Your e-file PIN is 5 digits in length.  To obtain your 5 digit pin and enter it:

1. Click on the Federal Taxes tab.

2. Click on Other Tax Situations.

3. Scroll down to the section "Other Return Info".

4. Click Start, Update, or Revisit button for Identity Protection Pin.

Cpoa1a

@Crystalh856  wrote:

Cpoa1a

That is not an  IP PIN.   If you meant to type CP01A, that is the type of IRS letter, which may have provided your IP PIN.  Read the whole letter.

An IP PIN is a 6-digit PIN provided by the IRS to certain victims of ID theft.   It consists only of numeric digits.  Did you get a CP01A letter from the IRS containing a 6-digit IP PIN?

If so, here's a way to enter the 6-digit IP PIN into your return:

• In the left menu column, click Federal.
  • Then at the top Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info.
  • Choose Identity Protection PIN and Start (or Revisit.)
  • Next screen asks:  "Did you get an IP PIN from the IRS for this year's taxes?"
  • If you choose "yes", it will have you enter it. 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@saenz31cruz  The IRS has discontinued the e-filing PIN option. To verify your identity for e-filing, you’ll need to use last year's adjusted gross income (AGI).  What happened to the e-filing PIN?

Please see the link below for instructions on how to get last year's AIG:

How do I find last year’s AGI?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi can you send me my six digit passcode please 

@Harringtonj95 wrote:

Hi can you send me my six digit passcode please 

Only the IRS provides the 6 digit Identity Protection PIN because you reported an identity theft to the IRS in a prior year. 

Go to this IRS website for IP PIN information - https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin

Have a rejected E-File, I have the IP PIN number, but cannot find the location to enter.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You can enter it in the federal section of the program.

1. Select Other Tax Situations at the top of the screen
  2. Select Other Return Info
  3. Select Identity Protection PIN and select Start/Edit
  4. Proceed to follow the steps to enter your information from the IRS

@jshannon57

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After putting the 6 digit IP Pin in as stated, you can enter any 5 digit pin when you go thru the final steps for filing. Remember the new 5 digit pin for future tax returns.

olymay22
Returning Member

I received an ip pin number from the IRS for 2020 tax year.  I can not enter it on TurboTax, so the IRS will not let me e-file my return, and the state will also not  accept it.  The way that is shown here to enter it does not work as any of my three computers as there is not a  ( Federal Taxes tab ), or the other tabs that follow it. Turbo tax only  asked for the 5 number code and gives one no choice to enter the 6 number code, or change between them.  I have used turbo tax app. 15 years, but will have to  change to another tax service if they do not correct this. 

@olymay22 wrote:

I received an ip pin number from the IRS for 2020 tax year.  I can not enter it on TurboTax, so the IRS will not let me e-file my return, and the state will also not  accept it.  The way that is shown here to enter it does not work as any of my three computers as there is not a  ( Federal Taxes tab ), or the other tabs that follow it. Turbo tax only  asked for the 5 number code and gives one no choice to enter the 6 number code, or change between them.  I have used turbo tax app. 15 years, but will have to  change to another tax service if they do not correct this. 

To enter a 6 digit IP PIN

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info
  • On Identity Protection PIN, click the start button

Or enter ip pin in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ip pin

olymay22
Returning Member

Found the ip pin entre.   THANK YOU A BUNCH.  The problem is I do not need to use the  ( Other Tax Situations )   in doing my taxes.     The other thing it was said to go to the Federal tax tab, but there isn't any Fed tax tab.  There is instead  three sections labeled  Personal Info,  Business, and  Personal and  under it  is located 

Other Tax Situations.   This section is for entering ones tax information for both Fed. and State taxes. 

Any way I got TT to accept the ip pin number.

Manage cookies