turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where can I find the path of the file I currently have open?

When I open a TurboTax file like to know the exact location on my computer where the file exists (i.e. the path) to be sure I'm opening the correct file.  When I open TurboTax there is a handy dialog box that shows the recently used files, however, it does not show me the paths of the files.  So I will typically open the first file in the list, although I'm concerned I may be opening the wrong file.

So I was wondering if there's a way after you open the file to check the path of the file that you currently have opened?

Alternatively, if you know how to see the path of the file you're opening from the recently opened files dialog, that would solve my problem.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
Carl
Level 15

The tax file has a .tax2019 filename extension and resides in the Documents\TurboTax directory unless you took physical action to save it somewhere else.

Thanks.  I'm familiar with that default location the files are stored and I actually store my turbo tax files in a different location than that, along with my other docs.   

Again, when I have a file open in turbo tax, I'm trying to figure out where the file "I have open" is stored for the purpose of verifying I have the correct file open. 

In case you are wondering why I'm asking this, I often save temporary copies of the file when I'm testing to see how a particular change to the file will affect my return amount.   So I don't want to accidentally open one of those temp. copies. Hence why I need a way to know what file is actually open.  

@B0555555 

I do similar..all my test files are in a different directory from my real tax returns.

I figured a way....At least on Windows computer.

1) open any tax file in question, from that opening screen that shows all your tax files.

2) once the file loads, go up to the top-left menu "File" selection.

3) Choose "Save As", and the browser window shows up with the current full path to that particular file showing at the top of the browse screen.   (You can cancel the save at that point if you don't want to do that actual save)

Note: for those who are using the "Online" software and are reading this,...this is meant only for "Desktop" software users.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

ok.  Thanks.  I thought of that but wasn't sure if it was a reliable way to do it.  Usually, applications have a better way to simply explicitly see where the file is located.  Like File > Properties or Details. 

I wish there was a better way to do it as Save As is it bit convoluted.  

Thanks.

Plus don't you give them special names to tell them apart?  Like put "Test or Temp" in the name?  I have lots of test returns to help answer questions. You could devise a naming or numbering scheme to organize them.  

There doesn't seem to be a similar "Properties" selection from within the software.

I was just mucking about, and tried that on several of my files that show up in that home screen, but are in different directories. 

Using "File" and "Save As" is just two clicks, so while maybe it's not intuitive, I wouldn't consider it particularly  convoluted 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Volvogirl, that is a good workaround and thanks for offering it. 

However, it's still a workaround.  There should be a way to explicitly view the path of the file you have open.  Every other application I have ever used allows you to do that, so it is VERY weird if they don't allow that.   

If anyone knows of a way to do this, please let me know.  

Steamtrain, sorry about the use of convoluted. 

From my experience as a software developer, it is standard practice to provide the capability to view an open file's path.  So it seems convoluted to me simply b/c it is usually a commonly available feature.  Again, sorry if my comment came across the wrong way.    

Thanks for your help.  

licanhao

TurboTax for Mac.

Look at the window of the open file:  The top line shows the file name.  Click at the file name and the path appears.

Right-click on TurboTax in the taskbar.

Right-click on the open file of interest in the "Recent"  list.

Click Properties.

----

In Windows the basic command "Save As" shows the path so there is no reason to build into your application a special command to locate the file, unless you are hiding the standard menus, like Quicken does.

@B0555555 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies