Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

neta5z9

When will form 8915-E be update and available for 2021 tax year?

IT WORKED!!  THANK YOU!!

I took a COVID disbursement in 2020 and chose to stretch over 3 years, and also paid back 1/3rd before filing my 2020 tax return. Then later in 2021 I then paid back the remaining 2/3rds that I owed my IRA.

Can I choose to accelerate the 2/3rds of income into 2021 given that I paid it all back this year, or do I need to file a 8915-F both in 2021 and 2022 and show it being paid back across those two consecutive years (even though it was really all paid back in 2021)?

You need to file a 8915-F both in 2021 and 2022 and show it being paid back across those two consecutive years. you will enter 2/3 on your 2021 return, 1/3 will carry forward to 2022.

BBKMovies

The tax forms are now at the IRS site. Form 8915-F (1-2022) and the instructions are also available with a date of Feb 11, 2022.

TurboTax team - when will this be available for filing via Turbo Tax Online?

Thanks!

How am I supposed to finish this years taxes without this form?

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

It still says 3/31/2022. 

@BBKMovies

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
EFM
Level 2

I have been waiting patiently for almost one month since the IRS issued Form 8915-F for 2021 repayment of COVD-19 distributions in 2020. At first the TurboTax response was the form was not issued final. Later they dropped that excuse and said flatly it won't be finished until 03/31/2022. In the meantime, other electronic tax preparation companies have included the form and processed federal and state income tax returns. Having already invested $40.00 in TurboTax's Deluxe edition, I was reluctant to leave but decided to complete my taxes using the FreeTax USA 2021 Edition. As the name implies, there is no cost for 2021 federal income tax preparation and electronic filing which includes all necessary forms including the IRS Form 8915-F. As an added benefit, the cost to prepare and electronically file my state income tax was only $14.99 not the $25.00 charged by TurboTax. 

Needless to say, I will be preparing my 2022 income taxes without using Turbo Tax products.

jacqueline7188
Returning Member

I JUST WOULD LIKE TO KNOW, WHEN WILL THIS FORM  8915-E    BE FINALIZE. I NEED TO DO MY TAXES

DBM213
Returning Member

TurboTax still list availability date as 3/31/22

Thank you for telling us about  FreeTax USA 2021 Edition.  I too will no longer be using turbotax, not only for this issue, but I ran into several issues where you could not get any type of answer using their search engine.  This software has really went downhill.  I will also be reqesting a refund from Turbo Tax for this package which was not usable...

Be aware that  the online TurboTax Free Edition is very limited to only simple returns--so be careful----if your return requires any of the schedules or extra forms then an upgrade to a paid version will be required.   https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/ 

There are still eight various software providers who will participate in the Free File program ...

Use this IRS site for other ways to file for free:

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

Can we get a **bleep** straight answer from Turbo Tax? When will you have form 8915 ready as an update so I can Efile my 1040?  I have been ready 3 weeks now and won’t be able to efile until 3/31 if rumors are correct. Get on the ball Turbo Tax 

@Scherer555 wrote:

Can we get a **bleep** straight answer from Turbo Tax? When will you have form 8915 ready as an update so I can Efile my 1040?  I have been ready 3 weeks now and won’t be able to efile until 3/31 if rumors are correct. Get on the ball Turbo Tax 

If you had a Covid-19 related distribution from a tax deferred account in 2020 and you selected to spread the distribution over 3 years then you will need the Form 8915-F to report the 1/3 distribution.

Form 8915-F, Qualified Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Retirements for tax year 2021 is estimated to be available in TurboTax on 03/31/2022 

Go to this TurboTax website for IRS forms availability - https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

dckrsn6
Returning Member

We took a retirement distribution but it wasn’t due to Covid or any other disaster but it’s still telling me I can’t file until the form is available. I don’t need the form.  Why can’t I file without it? 

I paid all of the taxes when we took the distribution in 2020. Why is Turbo tax not allowing me to file taxes because 8915-s and 8915-t is not available. I am confused 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies