Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will form 8915-E 2020 be available in turbo tax?

@johnnnnnnnnnnnnn wrote:

Here is form on the IRS website.  It is available.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8915e.pdf

And form filing instructions:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8915e.pdf

If the IRS has released the form on its website for use, then certainly Turbo Tax can do the same.

Form 8915-E, Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments is scheduled to be available in TurboTax on 02/25/2021

This form will be ready on 02/25/2021

What is the ETA on when the 8915-E form will be in TurboTax and ready to use?

Was 2/24 now saying 2/25 pray it doesn’t change again unless it’s back to the 24th 😝

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

IRS Form 8915-E Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distribution and Repayments instructions states:

• The coronavirus disease 2019 (referred to collectively in these instructions as coronavirus) is one of the qualified 2020 disasters reportable on IRS Form 8915-E. If you were impacted by the coronavirus and you made withdrawals from your retirement plan in 2020 before December 31, you may have coronavirus-related distributions eligible for special tax benefits on Form 8915-E.

IRS Form 8915-E Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distribution and Repayments is not fully functional.

Today, a tax return with IRS Form 8915-E can only be paper-filed.  Eventually, tax returns with IRS Form 8915-E will be able to be e-filed but that option is not available today.  Forms availability says the form may be available February 25.

Forms availability is here.

@astillwell4

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

IRS Form 8915-E Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distribution and Repayments instructions states: 

• The coronavirus disease 2019 (referred to collectively in these instructions as coronavirus) is one of the qualified 2020 disasters reportable on IRS Form 8915-E. If you were impacted by the coronavirus and you made withdrawals from your retirement plan in 2020 before December 31, you may have coronavirus-related distributions eligible for special tax benefits on Form 8915-E. 

IRS Form 8915-E Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distribution and Repayments is not fully functional.

Today, a tax return with IRS Form 8915-E can only be paper-filed.  Eventually, tax returns with IRS Form 8915-E will be able to be e-filed but that option is not available today.  Forms availability says the form may be available February 25.

Forms availability is here.

@coreemoore82

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It looks like the IRS form was released 02/11/21 but Turbotax still shows they have no released the information.  Will it be updated soon?

@kristinamgorsline wrote:

It looks like the IRS form was released 02/11/21 but Turbotax still shows they have no released the information.  Will it be updated soon?

Form 8915-E, Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments is scheduled to be available in TurboTax on 02/25/2021

Turbo tax needs to get on the ball, for has been approved for almost a couple weeks... I'm somewhat disappointed with how long they are taking to integrate this form into the software. First the 24th now its the 25th... not doing much for the customer experience. Long time user and I expected better. 

My understanding is that TurboTax has to develop the XML (probably not that hard) and then submit it to the IRS for approval before it can be released to the public.  I know the IRS is backed up so I'm glad that it's expected this week.  To the point of the IRS being backed up, I'm still waiting for a refund on my 2019 return.  I checked the wheresmyrefund app and although it did show as pending, it now shows "no status."  There is no one available to answer the phone at the IRS or at my local advocate's office.  I've literally called every day for the last month.  Can't leave a message and my emails also go unanswered.

Does anyone know if any other tax software companies have it incorporated already ? I hate to say it my I’m not convinced it will be avail tomorrow either . I hope I’m wrong !

Yea, that would be good to know. 

H&R says should be ready by 03/04.

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software/updates-back-editions/fed[product key removed]able.html

CowboyGrad
Returning Member

The form is still not available today 2/24. Still waiting...

The TurboTax 8915-E should be available on Feb. 25 (pending IRS approval by then). Updates are usually at night so check on the 26th.

See the forms availability list:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/irs-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-pe...

The IRS just finalized the form on Feb 11. TurboTax must now submit their 8915-E software to the IRS for testing to be sure that both TurboTax and the IRS e-file computer are compatible. That process usually takes the IRS 2-3 weeks for approval to release the new form to the public.

See below for a link to sign up for an email when the form is ready.

This form is necessary to report COVID related distributions from IRA's and other retirement plans to report the distribution, pay it back over 3 years or spread the tax over 3 years.

A COVID-19 related distribution is reported on a new 8915-E form.

See this TurboTax FAQ to sign up for an e-mail when the form is ready.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-getting-getting-a-10-penalty-on-my-1099-r...
The TurboTax 8915-E should be available on Feb. 25 (pending IRS approval by then). Updates are usually at night so check on the 26th.

See the forms availability list:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/irs-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-pe...

The IRS just finalized the form on Feb 11. TurboTax must now submit their 8915-E software to the IRS for testing to be sure that both TurboTax and the IRS e-file computer are compatible. That process usually takes the IRS 2-3 weeks for approval to release the new form to the public.

See below for a link to sign up for an email when the form is ready.

This form is necessary to report COVID related distributions from IRA's and other retirement plans to report the distribution, pay it back over 3 years or spread the tax over 3 years.

A COVID-19 related distribution is reported on a new 8915-E form.

See this TurboTax FAQ to sign up for an e-mail when the form is ready.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-getting-getting-a-10-penalty-on-my-1099-r...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@lherran That sucks. Take no guff from the swine, sue the bastards!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies