Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kimleyj

When will 2023 qualified disaster distribution be available to file?

I get the message "2023 Disaster Distribution Checkbox - You can't file just yet."
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Form 8915-F does show as being available on the Form Availability List.  However there are some software updates being implemented that have resulted in a delay.  Please check back after 3/8/2024.

• if you are in the desktop version of the software, update your software and try to proceed with your return.  
  • If you are using the online version, the software will already have all updates loaded.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DAS170

Getting a message stating I can't file yet when QD2023 is checked.  Trying to file for repairs incurred from hurricane Ian in 2022 but paid in 2023 using retirement funds.  When will this feature be added to TurboTax so I can complete filing of my taxes?  I saw where it was expected to be provide by 3/8/2024 but it doesn't look like it was.

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Please make sure you are updating your TurboTax program when you go on.  

If you're using TurboTax Online, open TurboTax and select "Check for Updates" from the Online menu near the top. 

If you are on a MAC, just quit and reopen TurboTax. If there are any updates, you'll be prompted to download them.

Helpful Tips:

• Use a wired, high-speed connection when updating. I
  • Try again if  your connection drops in the middle of the update.  The TurboTax update should pick up where it left off.
  • Try a manual update.

Logging out of TurboTax and back in, changing browsers, or clearing your cache and cookies often help.

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

Is there a ETA on the patch? I'm not able to file my returns yet. Thanks!

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Form 8915-F does show as being available on the Form Availability List. However there are some software updates being implemented that have resulted in a delay. There will be two separate updates to the form. The first is anticipated on the 22nd and the second is anticipated on the 29th. After those dates, update your software if you are in the desktop version of the software, and try to proceed with your return.

Why is the update taking so long? 

The only 8915-F forms available are for 2020.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Form 8915-F does show as being available on the Form Availability List. However there are some software updates being implemented that have resulted in a delay. There will be two separate updates to the form. The first is anticipated on the 22nd and the second is anticipated on the 29th. After those dates, update your software if you are in the desktop version of the software, and try to proceed with your return.

the 2020 form is shown. not the 2023.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, the IRS was showing the 2020 form while they were updating it also.  The IRS changed the form to be timeless but the year of filing still needs to be updated annually. The 2020 form looks odd but is the correct form. The IRS has released the updated form so our team can get busy now. 

You can:

• file since the form  is the same. No information or calculations will change or 
  • you can wait for the updated form. Great catch!

@BPhelps 

It looks like the update has been made. How do I find out if I can reduce my early withdrawal penalty for a qualified disaster? I live in Jefferson County, Kentucky and we had high winds and tornadoes that required a new roof. Is that something I can use?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you were in a federal disaster and had to take money to repair damages, it qualifies.

I am not sure which one of these is correct for you:

Kentucky Severe Storms, Straight-line Winds, Flooding, Landslides, and Mudslides (DR-4711-KY)

Kentucky Severe Storms, Straight-line Winds, Tornadoes, Flooding, Landslides, and Mudslides (DR-4702...

@BPhelps 

Should I be asked about that during the preparation? It didn't ask whether we used the retirement funds for that event. Is there a form I need to use? Shouldn't the software prompt me?

Thanks!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, after you enter the 1099-R and you go through the series of questions after, you should see that as one of the questions. Go back to the 1099-R and edit the form, continue through the questions again. It is the 5th question based on my entry so around that area for you.

If you do not see the question, delete that 1099-R, close the program. Open the program, add the 1099-R and go through the questions again.

@BPhelps 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies