turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

swolf4242

When will 2021 tax forms be available?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You appear to be using Online TurboTax.   If you're asking in regards to Online TurboTax, the website for a new tax year normally opens up the first week of December, plus or minus.

Even when the software or website become available, many forms will not be complete initially and programming will not be finished.  The program will undergo updates over the first few weeks while IRS forms are finalized and the software tweaked.  The last couple of years there were significant late tax law changes which required additional programming and form revisions, and there could be the same this year.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

In November, usually before Thanksgiving.  Sometimes first week in November.

You appear to be using Online TurboTax.   If you're asking in regards to Online TurboTax, the website for a new tax year normally opens up the first week of December, plus or minus.

Even when the software or website become available, many forms will not be complete initially and programming will not be finished.  The program will undergo updates over the first few weeks while IRS forms are finalized and the software tweaked.  The last couple of years there were significant late tax law changes which required additional programming and form revisions, and there could be the same this year.

Carl
Level 15

Generally, the TTX program for the next tax filing year is available for purchase/download anywhere from the last week of November (around thanksgiving) to the middle of December.  But history indicates that the program is usually not complete, meaning you may not be able to complete the tax return as you might like to. This is because Congress has not finalized tax law changes, as well as the IRS has not released/approved  the official electronic forms to vendors for inclusion in their software. Next, history also shows that the IRS doesn't even open up their computers to accept e-filed returns until after the first week of January. Heck, one year they didn't open e-filing until the last week of February. 

So if you think filing early means you will get your refund sooner, don't count on it. The IRS does not process returns as first in first out.  For example, for 2020 tax returns if you qualified for and claimed the EITC, the IRS could not issue the refund until the first week of march, regardless of how early you may have filed. My understanding was that an earlier payment was forbidden by tax law, or something like that.

Additionally, if you e-file your return before the IRS computers are ready to process it, then it just "sits there" on the server until they start processing. Meanwhile, if you find a mistake that you need to correct, you can't do jack squat until "AFTER" the IRS has either processed your return and you have received your refund, or the IRS computers reject your e-filed return.  So there's really no benefit for a majority of tax filers just because they e-filed early.

I myself never e-file prior to March 1st. This is because I wait for errors to be found and fixed in the program so as to increase my confidence in the accuracy of my e-filed return. I've been using TTX for over 15 years now, and there hasn't been a year go by that errors are not found and fixed by the programmers on a weekly basis during the tax filing season.

swolf4242

Thanks for all the info. I’m just looking to estimate my taxes to see if I’ve withheld enough from my private disability insurance payments. This is my first full year of not being employed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies