Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When I try to save my turbo tax form to my file on my Mac it says that my file is locked. Then turbo tax as me if i want save it anyway? I click this box. Is my file saved or not and why does it say my file is locked?

I am a long time turbotax user, this is the first year using my MAC and not happy with the issue of trying to save files.  I continue to receive the message that the file is locked, I cannot save.  What I have found though, there are points in the return that if I exit, it will save the return, have not paid attention enough as to what those points are.  I also put off updating the software until after my updates are made.  I usually don't connect to the internet when opening the software so the software does automatically update.  I make my changes in all of my returns I am working on, then update the software.  As part of the update process it does save the return.   Definitely think turbotax should be able to save more frequently automatically and when I ask to save.   

When I try to save my turbo tax form to my file on my Mac it says that my file is locked. Then turbo tax as me if i want save it anyway? I click this box. Is my file saved or not and why does it say my file is locked?

@MACuser27  As a test, try this - I would be curious if it works or not.

System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Full Disk Access > add TurboTax 2020

(You can always remove it with the - button.).

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 7.39.30 AM.jpg

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Yes, that worked, I can save the file now.   Turbotax was already in the list, just had to unlock, then check it.   Thanks.

pjtax20

This worked for me too!  Turbo Tax was not in the list, I had to add it.  Seems like this is a Turbo Tax setup/install issue.

@pjtax20 wrote:

This worked for me too!  Turbo Tax was not in the list, I had to add it.  Seems like this is a Turbo Tax setup/install issue.

That is a Mac setup option  when the Mac is installed.    Has nothing to do with TurboTax.   TurboTax is an applications that has no access to the Mac internal settings.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thanks for this information on how to unlock the file.  I had the same problem last year and just saved to a different location as a work around.  Your suggestion worked and I will need to make myself a note for next year.

Thanks so much.  This worked.

I have had SUCCESS with e-filing my 2020 Taxes using TurboTax Deluxe and my older MacBook Pro (running OS Catalina)!!!  I, too, have battled the inability to save updates to my return, culminating in the inability to eFile, but I got it work without contacting Turbotax or Apple. 

Here's what worked for me:

1) do all of the work up to filing.  If you have to stop and start, save.  Actually, it would be smart to save to a USB drive as you go, especially nearing the end of your process.

2) print before you file (just in case!) then go through all of the steps to E-file.  If it works, great, but if it refuses to save and then E-file because your "file is locked" or "you do not have authorization to open this file" or some other silliness, then begin the process below:

3) when you are sure that you are ready to E-file (no last-minute tweaks or further reviewing) go to "Duplicate" (part of TurboTax drop down menu near the top left corner of the computer screen -- to the right of the Apple logo).  This will create an untitled copy of your tax return -- with everything that you have entered into it up to this point.

4) working from this untitled Turbotax document (that by now has everything, including any bank routing numbers, your email, and all of the final details for submission), GO STRAIGHT TO FILE.  (Within the TurboTax program -- the top right option on the TurboTax screen).

4) walk through the steps to file your return, but Do NOT SAVE until you absolutely have to

5) when you press the last submit button, a "Save As" will pop up.

6) give your Tax return a name and whatever encryption you need to give it, and SAVE IT TO YOUR DESKTOP.

7) for me, the moment it saved to my desktop, it began the (successful) submission process.

It only took about 7 attempts for me to try this and have it work.  I hope that it works for you, too, and saves you some time!

Same her today. March 18, 2021.  We have used TurboTax each year since 2014 or before. This version has been a new kind of challenge in many ways and now will not e-file. Tried e-filing a week ago ... no go. Decided to wait for possible updates. My iMac OS had a big update about a week ago so tried to e-file our returns again today.  TurboTax launched a big update which was encouraging. Opened up our return ... went to e-file again ... still no e-file.

Scrapping the e-file attempt ...  will now mail in the return ... and hope that idiot DeJoy has not now cratered the US Mail totally. 

I found the solution. I'm also a Mac user and was having the same issues. You'll need to go to the computer's system preferences to solve the issue.

Apple -> System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy (I don't know if it'll automatically jump to that but there are 4 options at the top of the window that says "general, FileVault, Firewall, Privacy") -> Full Disk Access -> (if your lock is on for making changes (lower left of window), you'll need to unlock first) then scroll down the list of apps to Turbo Tax 2020 and select it -> reengage the lock for the window (if you unlocked it). 

And then relaunch TurboTax 2020 via opening a file and then you should be able to save files again

I posted that and screenshot earlier in this  thread.

It's absolutely amazing that since I posted this problem, probably 1 to 2 years ago with TT, I'm still getting responses from the community on how to fix the problem.  It's a wonderful community but an absolutely horrible piece of software and its company that produces it.  You would think by now Intuit would have the decency to fix this problem that so many people have had with the software.  But, no, they ignore THEIR bugs and let the users of the software to swing in the wind.  I've gotten more help with Apple to find work arounds than with TT people.  They just plead ignorance and blame Apple or whatever they can.  Stop blaming others and fix your software to work with other computers and systems.  I was a fool and bought the 2020 TT premier again this year but had more problems.  Again, TT tech was of no help.  Apple tech people found a workaround for  me by sort of trial an error.  No one knows why the workaround works. It's so annoying that I will NOT go this route next year.  I'll try H&R Bock software.  TT software is garbage and has caused me enormous delays and time consuming efforts to get my taxes done.  Good luck everyone and thank you for your help.

BillB3

NS247

I am having the same issue.  At some points it saves, at others it doesn't.  This issue needs to get resolved, otherwise I have to reconsider ever using this program again.  Not sure how the files are going to transfer next year either.

NS247

That is not the issue, the second you save the file the first time, it fails to autosave a file it just wrote and immediately says unable to save.  It's a problem.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support as your issue would be best resolved with one-on-one support. Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact Customer Support: What is the TurboTax phone number?

@NS247

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies