Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What to enter for property taxes on Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet?

I paid approximately $7000 in property taxes in 2022. I do not use escrow so my lender doesn't disburse them for me. On my 1098, it says $0.00 for property taxes disbursed. Should I enter $0.00 in the Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet (line 8), or should I enter the $7000 figure, since that is what I paid in 2022? If I enter 0, where else within Turbotax would I report the $7000 I actually paid in property taxes? Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

To enter, edit or delete Property Taxes -
Click on Federal Taxes
Click on Deductions and Credits
Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
Under Your Home
On Property Taxes, click on the start or update button

Or enter property tax in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to property tax

you an enter it through the 1098 or directly when you get to the tax section for schedule A.

If your Property Tax is not impounded by your lender, then it will show 0.00 on your lender's 1098.  You do not want to duplicate the Property Taxes paid - so you enter on Schedule A based on your personal records of taxes paid in the calendar year of 2022.  

So just to be clear, when I'm entering the details for the 1098, that is only corresponding to what the lender may have remitted for me. If that is true, I should be entering $0.00 or leaving that part blank where it asks. And then after that, I will be entering in the property taxes I personally paid elsewhere. 

I think I found the part I need to enter them in the next section under Personal > Deductions & Credits > Your Home  > Property Taxes but want to be absolutely sure. Thanks again.

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Yes, that is absolutely correct.   If you paid your property taxes yourself and they were not paid out of escrow by your lender, then you will leave that field blank in the Form 1098 and enter it directly in the Your Home section of Deductions and Credits by clicking on Start or Revisit for Property (Real Estate) Taxes. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies